• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 issue

Richy

Sep 18, 2010
Hi Rich here,
I picked up a 2510 that was sold not working.
It actually works, but it has a strange issue.
The 2510 has bands A through I,
ABCD don't work. It does Rx and Tx, but in the vicinity of 27.725.. on all of the VFO's range. All channels above 27.725 are the same, thru a dummy load, the radio will RX and TX perfectly (on bands EFGH and most of I) as they are below or partially below 27.725.
So in essence, once you try to use any band or frequency above 27.725, that's where the rig stops, right around 27.725.
Some insight:

The display will show the desired frequency, but will actually be the above.

Sometimes the rig will vary the "ceiling",
It may stop at 27.730 or another time may stop at 27.740.. so it's not alway exact.

Anyway, I have 4 other 2510's, I love them and the RX is superb for 10m. So any help would be appreciated.
Here is a video I made
Showing the issue.

Thanks Richy N2ZD

do you have the proper equipment to do an alignment of the radio? if so I would do a complete alignment and see what happens. some one may have tried to do that and messed the radio up.over the years I have had so many radio some one that had no idea what they were doing would go inside and try to increase the power of the radio and turn L cans that would kill a portion of the radio. at least do 1st and see what area you get to that will not adjust properly.

Pretty much everything but a scope. I have stuff at my house but I'm currently in an apt. Read between the lines on that one lol.
Anyway, I have the service manual and tech info on alignment and a friend nearby with what I dont have. I just figured I would throw this out there as I've repaired pll circuits before but usually the vco drops out and not as in this case, force the radio to nearly the same freq on 4-5 bands. Thanks!!

Yes, that was the first thing I pried off of the board lol.. this was bad, that stuff was the worst I've seen out of all of them.. thanks!

Since the Sony Bond (brown glue) has been removed the next thing I would look at is the capacitors on the CPU board. I have seen this so many times, when these capacitors fail they start to leak. The electrolyte can eat circuit traces away. Not only physically leak but internally leak dragging voltages down and keeping the CPU from working correctly.

Yes, I plan to order a few cap sets from eBay. I just nabbed another parts radio from eBay lol.. but I'm sure it won't get used for parts..

I'm pretty well versed with this radio. I love them, I know a lot about them. This issue was rather strange so I was curious if anyone has ever seen this.. the first thing I did was set the voltage at 6.5 v, no change. Usually the strange issues are cap related.
Thanks Richy N2ZD

... Yes, I plan to order a few cap sets from eBay.
As a member here @ WWDX, I can give you a discount on my kit. A local North American business with no Chinese counterfeits. Send me a PM for details. See my eBay listing below for more information;
http://tinyurl.com/h3ssbxw

$_57.JPG

I set the voltage when I saw this issue at 6.5 volts. No change.. I'll keep u updated on my findings..

Hey mike, I was looking on eBay and saw a Canadian company selling the caps. I guess this is your company. I will contact you by pm later on today thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.