• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT radio choice....ICOM ID 31A or Kenwood TH-F6A ?

Palex9

Dec 23, 2012
Just got a FT-450D for HF work. I like it a lot. But for more local communications I want to get a decent HT radio. What I have heard about D-Star sound really interesting and fun. At the same time the TH-F6A offers a lot more bands, incl. HF. Price is about the same at under $300. Which route to go? Anybody have both? The digital modes with D Star are impressive but you are locked into a proprietary Icom technology....But is HF on a HT radio really usable?

So many radios...so little time...

Best to have D-Star repeaters in your area. 31 is a single band (UHF) analog/dstar, best to go for the 51 which is dual.

HF on HT is so so. Need more antenna than what comes with the radio to be useful and then only for recieve. HT frontend is wide open so its easy for strong, close signals to create problems.

D-Star is proprietary only at the codex level and seems like proprietary to Icom, just that they are the only major player on the bandwagon.

Mike

Just got a FT-450D for HF work. I like it a lot. But for more local communications I want to get a decent HT radio. What I have heard about D-Star sound really interesting and fun. At the same time the TH-F6A offers a lot more bands, incl. HF. Price is about the same at under $300. Which route to go? Anybody have both? The digital modes with D Star are impressive but you are locked into a proprietary Icom technology....But is HF on a HT radio really usable?

So many radios...so little time...

Well it just depends if you have D-Star repeaters in your area. I don't have any D-star repeaters near me at all. So shelling out the $$$ for would be pointless here. Do you have any d-star repeaters where u are at? And HF on a HT is not that great either.

I knew a guy that had a Great big Kenwood hf rig and a kenwwod HT and he would use the ht in the yard to talk to the hf rig on hf freq. Did not really understand it but i worked good.

kj4unx

That would be Sky Command. Using the VHF/UHF for control and voice to and from the HF rig (TS-2000 most likely).
Mike

snip...

I knew a guy that had a Great big Kenwood hf rig and a kenwwod HT and he would use the ht in the yard to talk to the hf rig on hf freq. Did not really understand it but i worked good.

kj4unx

Reactions: 1 person
Well..

I Do Not have the ID-31
I Do have the ID-91AD

I Do have the THF6a

a couple of things..the 31 is UHF only ( but with DStar )
If you want to go the DStar Route then i would say the ID-51

HF on the THF6a is So So at best..

However...The THF6a does also have the 220 band..

I Know the ID-51 is an Excellent HT
DStar is indeed very good
(it is Not Exclusive to Icom...but seems only Icom wants to use it..Kenwood had Started to use it but Dropped out of DStar)

Look in your area..
Do you have Access to DStar Repeaters ?
Do you have Access to 220 Repeaters ?

I can also say the Kenwood THF6a lasts a long time on its battery
works fine on 2 meter and 70cm & is one of the few that offer 220
(works full power on 220 band)

Take into mind...
if you go with the THF6a..
You will Indeed need to buy a High Quality Tri Band antenna

The ID-51 being a Dual Bander is easier and many more after market antennas to choose from.

Another consideration..Depending how many Repeaters on DStar near you.. Once on DStar network you can also easily Access 1.2 Gig DStar linked Repeaters

I use Icom T90a (6 meter,2 meter,70cm bands)
I use Icom ID-91AD (2 meter & 70 cm but with FM and DStar)
I use Kenwood THF6a (2 meter & 220 & 70 cm bands FM & SSB )
I use Motorola HT 1250LS (70 cm band )

So i am Well covered on the HT end of things
Though i am Considering getting the New Icom ID-51
Also Considering getting the new Yaesu FT-1D

Thanks for all the input so far. I am in the Raleigh, NC area which has a boatload of regular 440mhz repeaters. In all NC has 5 D-Star 440 repeaters (2 in my area). Hope thats enough because I am now heavily leaning towards the ICOM 31A. The newer 2 bander 51A is not released yet and will probably cost around $500. Really more than I want to spend anyway. I can get the 31A for under $300 which is a pretty good deal I think.

I think your choice is going to depend on how much you want to use D-Star, a very limited ability actually. Your choice...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.