• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hustler Mobile Masts & 10ks

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I have 2 22" mast & a 54" mast
What if I added 2 22" mast to 2 dual coil 10ks with the standard 9" shaft making the shafts of the 2 10ks 30' now the total height of the top of the antenna are 13ft 3". With these 2 22" shafts added would the 2 10ks work better & would this setup be for drive around use just wondering what ever one thinks? I also tested 1 of the dual coil 10ks with the 54" mast making the total height about 15ft 6" using the 54" mast for non drive around use what kind of gain if any would I see using this 54" over the 9" or 22" shaft?

54" Mast I have the MO 1
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamantm/1981.html

22 Mast
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamantm/2120.jpg

You won't see that much difference in performance.

Added length helps you in general terms, but for 11m the difference here won't be all that great.

Keep in mind, it's likely you will have to re-tune if you change the masts like that as those aren't just added height, they are solid conductors. You'll have to trim the length of the whips to match or run a tuner.

Just another .02 here as well.

The Hustler masts are solid steel, quite strong. I got the 22" to add length to a 102" whip. The catch is that they are 3/8x24 male on both ends which wasn't clear in the descriptions I saw. It's nearly impossible to find a coupler in that thread size. The masts are also pretty heavy since they are solid.

I wound up going with a 3' aluminum mast that was female on both ends. The aluminum is in no way strong enough to hold that whip up on the Hustler heavy spring ball mount so I have to run with it tied down until parked.

My setup is using an auto-tuner to feed the 11' whip. Adding the length opened me up for 40m nicely, but locked me out of 6m so I have to remove the extension for use on 6m.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.