• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HY GAIN CLR 2 Survivor

when you fried the disc Eddie, did you ever try just bridging the wire with bare wire? just a thought. it may be possiblt to get a pc board manufacturer to make a copy as i'm sure patent will be well up, even if it isn't i doubt they'd care, the other possibility is trace it and etch your own ot just guestimate that other coil and copy it, if it ain't 100% you can always compensate on radiator length, the other possibilty is to take any other 5/8 wave of similar radiator length and clone its matching system.

doesn't necessarily need to be cloned like penetrator.

Jazz I fixed my antenna, but latter on I used the tubing for parts on a beam antenna.

How did You fix it Eddie out of curiosity? just bridge burnt section of disc coil or build a new coil?

Sacriledge turning it into a yagi, lol. I bet you wish you hadn't now they are impossible to obtain just about and a cb classic bit of history, lol

I wish i never sold my Magnum 3 loved that antenna best halfwave bar none i ever used.

How did You fix it Eddie out of curiosity? just bridge burnt section of disc coil or build a new coil?

Sacriledge turning it into a yagi, lol. I bet you wish you hadn't now they are impossible to obtain just about and a cb classic bit of history, lol

I wish i never sold my Magnum 3 loved that antenna best halfwave bar none i ever used.

The little coil looked like it was made of foil and it had a small break. I cleaned it up a bit and put a little piece of foil across the burned area and soldered it up a little. I checked the continuity and it was good to go.

Back in those days it was almost impossible to fine aluminum tubing. I used an old Wilson Y-quad and some parts from the CLR2 to build a 4 element horizontal yagi that I worked for many years until Hurricane Rita in 2005.

Reactions: 1 person
I called again and said they didn't even have drawings of the CLR. You think there Is any possible way to make the match in the picture?
Just saw this post ....I too have a CLR-2 that I rescued from my grandpa's shop after it had toppled in a wind storm . I have had it all the way apart, matching coil out, cleaned connections, put together and it works great, but i too have the itch to modify the coil for more power handling capacity.

I am wondering if you (Mr. T.) have attempted to build a new coil for yours yet and what your results were?

Just saw this post ....I too have a CLR-2 that I rescued from my grandpa's shop after it had toppled in a wind storm . I have had it all the way apart, matching coil out, cleaned connections, put together and it works great, but i too have the itch to modify the coil for more power handling capacity.

I am wondering if you (Mr. T.) have attempted to build a new coil for yours yet and what your results were?

You might try buying a new Penetrator matching set from MFJ (170774 & 170775) and adding it by drilling a hole thru the side of the bottom insulator cup and attaching as Hy-gain does on the P500 but you'll also need to lengthen it to about 23' 3" total radiator length (without top hat) or 22' 5.5" including the 9.5" top hat.
You'll also need a pair of insulating plastic stand-offs to secure the matching components in place.
Also, since the Penetrator uses 4-radials but the CLR2 is only a 3-radial antenna, you might have a look at how Jim Dent did his CLR2 >>---> P500 conversion; HERE

This antenna started out as an Archer 21-902 'Super Maxim' (Radio Shack) half wave antenna made by HyGain. Found it at a garage sale and bought it for $20; it didn't work when I tested it out.
http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/archer/21_901/ad/index.htm

I found the assembly instructions for the CLR-2 on a thread here on the forum that was posted by unit_399 a few days ago. Looked to be similar to the Super Maxim. Hmmm....
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/hy-gain-clr-2.23496/

Someone had given me a bunch of scrap aluminum tubes they were going to throw out awhile back. Three long pieces were long enough to be 1/4 wave radials. Hmmmm. So armed with the spec sheet on the CLR-2 antenna and scrap aluminum, I could then turn it into a 5/8 wave antenna; so I thought.

I removed the upper/top tube and replaced it with a 9 ft long 7/16" OD tube. Slid it into the tube after opening up the end enough for it to fit and then measured the overall length to 19 ft 10in and then cinched it down with a sheet metal screw and a hose clamp. Added a threaded insert that I got from Home Depot at the top end of the tube, which had a 1/4-20 inside thread. Then I cut three pieces of aluminum tubes from scrap TV antenna, drilled a hole in the end of each one, installed them at the top of the antenna with a bolt, and finally cut them to a finished length of 8 1/2 inches long. It now had a capacitive hat built to spec.

This antenna didn't have the flat disc circuit board like the CLR-2, it has a coil on a form with the tuning tap.

Didn't work at first. Analyzer readings were waaay off. Since I knew that the rest of the dimensions/specs I did to it were right, I reasoned that it had to be the tuning of the coil inside. Turned out that the tap wire on the coil was soldered to the SO-239 connectors center.
It then struck me - that isn't right.
Just the way that I got the antenna when I bought it at a garage sale. So I reversed the two bottom wires (tap wire of coil to ground/shield), fired up the analyzer, and found it was spot-on. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
I have just acquired x2 of these antennas, The 5/8 CLR2 and the 1/2 wave
I have rebuilt them to the best of my ability being new to the cb radio scene with little knowledge

Are the pl259 base connections available?
Any one here selling parts or coils?

My coils both are glued into the bases
(Check photo) not like the ones pictured above.

1/2 wave rebuilt in the photo

Both of them i can hear receive but cant get a good swr out of either of them
But that could be because i have them attached to my fence for testing

Any info on parts would be great

Attachments

• 20220918_153019.jpg
    20220918_153019.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220919-213534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-213534_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220919-213500_Gallery.jpg