• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500

WA2SI

Jun 6, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, ( & ladies?)

Does anybody know what alloy the new Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500 is made of; 6063-T5, 6063-T832, or 6061-T6? All three are technically "aircraft grade" but the techno-nerd in me needs to know.

Although in a different profession now, I was an aircraft mechanic/avionics tech by education and early career; (Just couldn't stand the lack of job security.) Hence my desire to know the actual alloy/temper designation.

The ones I do know are:
MaCo V58/5000 - 6063-T5
I-10K - 6063-T832
Enforcers .64 - 6061-T6
Sirio... Your guess is as good as mine - hihi.

Tnx in advance and as always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hey guys, ( & ladies?)

Does anybody know what alloy the new Hy-Gain Super Penetrator 500 is made of; 6063-T5, 6063-T832, or 6061-T6? All three are technically "aircraft grade" but the techno-nerd in me needs to know.

Although in a different profession now, I was an aircraft mechanic/avionics tech by education and early career; (Just couldn't stand the lack of job security.) Hence my desire to know the actual alloy/temper designation.

The ones I do know are:
MaCo V58/5000 - 6063-T5
I-10K - 6063-T832
Enforcers .64 - 6061-T6
Sirio... Your guess is as good as mine - hihi.

Tnx in advance and as always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Which type would you hope for and why?

Definitely hoping for 6063-T832. Stronger than the T-5 with excellent anti-corrosive properties and much more cost-effective than the 6061 T-6. I've had a total of three V-58's &/or V-5000's (Including the original Wilson version.) and they will take a permanent bend in high winds.

73, Bert

Got an e-mail from Tom at Hy-Gain last night. 6061 it is! That makes it a very good buy at approx. $150. ($140 at some shops!)

73, Bert

Wow, thats good news. I like 6061 because it flexes so much without bending. But it might make it like a skinny fishing pole with a big fish on, in the wind. I thought 6061 wasnt good for rf because it had high rf resistence?
I heard it was only 19 1/2 feet not 22 1/2 feet like the early ones. Is that right?

Wow, thats good news. I like 6061 because it flexes so much without bending. But it might make it like a skinny fishing pole with a big fish on, in the wind. I thought 6061 wasnt good for rf because it had high rf resistence?
I heard it was only 19 1/2 feet not 22 1/2 feet like the early ones. Is that right?

Hi all,

I received a follow-up e-mail from Tom that he has confirmed that it is indeed 6063-T832, not 6061-T6, as previously reported. That's still fine by me. This still makes it a great buy at $149 plus S&H.

Additionally, I will be constructing two other dedicated single-band antennas and posting my results/experiences for the benefit of anyone interested. Both can be built using either very inexpensive materials or from top of the line products - your call.

The first will be a vertically oriented rectangular full-wave loop, fed from the center of the bottom leg. This should net approx. 1.5 Dbd in a perfect world. (However, we all know that perfect world doesn't exist.)

The next one is an EDZ utilizing cage-dipole construction. I already have had great results with the EDZ antenna and am anxious to build this one as a cage style dipole and feed it with coax. A 1/4L matching section made from 75 Ohm coax should bring it to approx. 50 Ohms. I'll probably mount it as a shallow inverted V. One can expect approx. 3 Dbd from an EDZ.

Here's an interesting question; Which method of matching offers less loss, a 1/4L matching section with coax (LMR-240UF) or 300/450/600 Ohm ladder/open-wire line with a tuner?

As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.