• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy tower with vertical antenna

Robalo,
The '18HT' has been around for about 30 years with only some slight modifications. (Different manufacturer. The older ones had 'glass' base insulators rather than 'plastic' ones.)
When installed correctly, there ~isn't~ a better all-band vertical antenna, period! That 'correctly' means a very good ground radial system, among other things. If that radial system is 'planted' while pouring the base (and waiting for the antenna to get there) it makes things much easier/faster. Another little 'gem' is to make that base larger/deeper than required. Then there's no worry about the thing falling over (Well, except for in this state where 'Momma Nature' gets a little windy at times.).
I've honestly only seen/heard one vertical antenna on the lower bands sound as good. That one was for a single band and was considerably heavier than the '18HT'.
- 'Doc

(Also remember when the @#$ things only cost about $400! Wish I'd have gotten one then...)

A vertical radiates equally poor in all directions. Unless you put down a decent ground plane, the antenna will only perform marginal. I have two of them here.

You will be MUCH happier with a dipole or an OCF antenna like the Carolina Windom. Stay away from verticals unless you are willing to make them work!

MC, on the lower bands a verticle with a half decent radial system will beat a dipole at distances over a few thousand miles any day.For comms less than 1500-2000 miles a dipole will beat the verticle most times.It's best to have both for all round coverage of all distances.

QRN & 'M.C.',
'Fraid I have to disagree with that. There are times when the vertical antenna is going to be better, but not all the time. Depends too much on the band and propagation. Neither vertical or horizontal are always better than the other. I've dealt mainly with horizontal antennas for HF, but have also had verticals for the same bands. Some days one did well, some days the other one did well. Some times it changed by the hour or minute. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Doc, what I said was based on the low take off angle of a vertical. Even a ground mounted vertical with radials will have a lower take off angle than a dipole at a resonable height on 80 and 160m. Polarity constantly shifts to favour one way or the other I agree but the vertical will deliver a stronger signal into a specific target area. All the world's best low band DX'ers use them so there must be something to it.

If it were strictly a matter of the lowest take off angle I'd certainly agree with you. And while the lowest take off angle is certainly a nice thing to have, it isn't always the 'angle' that will get you to where you want to go.
Maybe what I should have said was that I can't agree with you and 'M.C.' completely. That practicality thing is also a consideration. The lower the band of interest, the less practical a well done antenna tends to be. A really practical 160 meter antenna, for example, vertical or horizontal, is sort of a compromise at best. Not that many people can put one up, just don't have the required room to do it (I certainly wish I did, and that includes the $$ part!). Then you get into the 'reciprocity' part of the whole thing. If the 'other' guy doesn't have an 'ideal' antenna either, then things are just harder (he's gonna have the same 'practicality' problems too). That's actually the biggest difference between the 'best DX'ers' and the rest of us. They just aren't as 'practical' as the rest of us have to be.
- 'Doc

I think I may have gotten off on a 'tangent' there. Oh well, blame it on not enough coffee, that always works...

And who cares! I'd still love to have that 'Hy-Tower'!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.