• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I-10K tuning

Bus Driver

Feb 2, 2008
Hello, I just got the I-10K, On the Analyzer I got chnnl.#1 SWR 1.3 R62 X9 chnnl.#20 SWR1.0 R49 X4 chnnl.#40 SWR1.3 R39 X8, Antenna was ordered for chnnl. #20 Mid Band. My question is Am I done tuning? Is this ok or can I do better? Thank you

Hello, I just got the I-10K, On the Analyzer I got chnnl.#1 SWR 1.3 R62 X9 chnnl.#20 SWR1.0 R49 X4 chnnl.#40 SWR1.3 R39 X8, Antenna was ordered for chnnl. #20 Mid Band. My question is Am I done tuning? Is this ok or can I do better? Thank you

Yup, your done, leave as is and enjoy the antenna

Hello Bus Driver:

Yes it can be tuned a little lower in SWR. If the reference lengths are correct, 212 inches for the vertical and 57 inches for the Ground plane elements, And V7 has 45 3/8 inches exposed, and H3 has 45 7/8 inches exposed.

Then adjusting T1 and T2 Trombone Tuning Hoops will get a lower SWR from my experience.
Adjusting the tuning hoops is not critical, so don't be afraid to adjust them.

Measure the SWR and plot it on the Tuning instructions SWR charts in the back of the tuning instructuions. This will allow you see where your going, and where you have been.

Jay in the Mojave

I get the swr,X,R great on chnnl.20, I know that the swr is to be as low as possible, is Xto stay between0-11 at all times and R stay between 50-60 at all times? I am confused what I am looking for when I am tunning between my freq. range. Thanks Rick, Thanks for all your help

OK tell me how you are tuning the antenna with what length of coax, and how is the I-10K Mounted.

Jay in the Mojave

I get the swr,X,R great on chnnl.20, I know that the swr is to be as low as possible, is Xto stay between0-11 at all times and R stay between 50-60 at all times? I am confused what I am looking for when I am tunning between my freq. range. Thanks Rick, Thanks for all your help

I have 14 foot of coax,and 50foot I can use for tunning, I am using the 14 foot,antenna is on a 15 foot mast off of ground, 5 foot of mast in ground,10 foot above ground.I adjust T2 for min. SWR 1.0 R=50 X=2 then I try to adjust T1 and T2 for R between 45 and 65 while trying to keep X between o-11 , checking all this between chnnl. 1 and 40. I am sure I am doying this wrong. Thanks for your help

Hello BD:

Ok your are ok, you have it tuned ok.

Adjust T2 first for the lowest SWR, T1 is the frequency adjusts. Then back and forth for fine tuning.

When using shorter coax lengths you will see a narrower bandwidth on the I-10K Antenna or any antenna, this is a electromagnetic property of physics. I rate the SWR and bandwidth using 50 feet of LMR-400 coax. Having a SWR of under 2 to 1 over a bandwidth of 1.3 MHz.
Its on the web site.

When the Capacitive reactance (Xc) and Inductive reactance (Xl) both equal 50 ohms or close you will see a 1 to 1 SWR, as the reactance cancel each other and leave a purely resistive load like a 50 Ohm resistor, or 1 to 1 SWR. The important thing your looking at on the analyzer is the SWR. The Analyzer indicates the Xc as -X and inductance as X.

On the left hand side (or below the SWR null in frequency) of the SWR curve or smile the antenna will show a -X number and to the right side (or above the SWR null frequency) of the SWR curve you will see it change to X

Jay in the Mojave

I am lost after I get the lowest SWR 1.0, R=50, X=3 by adjusting T2 on chnnl. 20.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.