• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I always thought it would be fun if.....................

fasteddy

Apr 5, 2005
I was on the other side of the pileup. You know having a bunch of stations wanting to work you. I've definitly been on the calling end, and its a lot of fun to get in their and break through and make that contact. Like this morning on 15 meters. With my first try I got to a station in N. Italy. Just using a rotatable dipole and 500 watts, that felt good.

Well this evening I was on 17 meters and worked a couple of JA stations (Japan), so I knew the band was open. I went down the band a little ways and began calling CQ. After the 2nd call I got a response from Florida, chatted with him a while and called QRZ and bam another, then another, and another and so on until I had about 6-10 sations calling me at every QRZ call. Imagine to my suprise when in the pileup and as stong as any stateside call was JA0DCQ. I called him out nd he gave me a s9 + 10db in Nagano Japan. He was the only DX station I worked, but I sat their fo 2 hours and made a lot of contacts. I always visit for a bit to get to know each operator, so next time they hear me they will recognize my call (hopfully). Well my last contact was WA6DKN, Dave near LA, and if you spend anytime on 17 meters you will hear him. He has a fantastic station and always sounds great. He complimented me on my signal and audio and we chatted for 30+ minutes. I was needing a break after that and let Dave have the frq, but It sure was a lot of fun having a lot of stations wanting to make contact with little Ol me :LOL: . Just wanted to share some of the fun and enjoyment amatuer radio has to offer, and to encourage anyone to get licensed and join me. You never know, might be me you hear in your next pileup :p .

So if anyone else has a neat motivational expierience lets hear it.
Ed
KC0PZE

Glad to hear you were having fun Eddie. I am on 6m when the band is open and almost everytime there is an opening I get similar results.I guess there are not a great deal of 6m operators from FN75. It is fun to work a string of USA stations but oh boy when the Europeans start coming in my little 100 watts and a 6 element homebrew yagi sure get a workout. ;)

I had something similar happen while mobile about a year and 1/2 ago. I was driving home (45 minute trip) one evening and dialed it in to some 40 meter activity. I jumped in on some guys in Montana and Utah with my 100 watt mobile. They were surprised at how well I my signal was doing mobile. All of the sudden, a maritime station in Puerto Vallarta calls me (old lady traveling to the Philippines, of all places!!). She says I'm slamming her down that way from SoCal. Pretty soon, both her and I are working 1/2 of the western U.S. and Canada It wasn't like I was accomplishing anything remarkable, it was just a lot of fun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.