• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Can't Stand It Any Longer

Sarcasm, George.

- It can't be that hard if I have mine... - ;)

sorry Scott, couldn't resist it.lol

as for how hard it is i wouldn't know, never been that into rules or licensing so i just never got round to it, plus i'm happy on 11m, but i'm sure there's plenty good guys on the ham bands just like 11m, and i've no doubt both have their share of dickheads like everything in life.

Yeah, I enjoy 80m but it's turning into a kindergarten playground with the likes of jammers Steve-o & lil' Willy, along with countless others without a life i guess...

I know it's getting bad when I have to retreat to 11m to calm down & find a little politeness.

It's nice to finally be working towards getting my license, It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I just wish I'd talked to you guys a long time ago. Thanks!

I should probably put the Universal Radio catalog down now and get back to studying. :drool:

"By the Book"

Hey Bob, one more thing to keep in mind:

I've heard many say it's good to also read the study manual and highlight ONLY THE CORRECT ANSWERS then read through them several times, reading each question and only the highlighted correct answer to burn it into your memory.

They say when you sit down at the testing table (with that loud pipe organ of doubt hammering out it's angry drone of pessimism in your ear) and look at the barrage of questions demanding your accuracy, that you actually see the right answer staring back up at you as if the highlighter was already applied to the test!

- I didn't do it that way, evidently I did it the hard way and tried to simply memorize all the info, (though I also read the book so I'd understand what I was testing for) I didn't try the highlighter method and did miss 'a few'.
icon_redface.gif

Also, when I took the Extra class test I used the internet pool of questions to study and only used the book to correct the ones I missed, and there were questions on the test I had never seen or even heard of, so study & use the book too, it's good to also KNOW the info, not just get the answers correct!

I'll look forward to a nice long QSO with you on 10m when conditions permit!@ - 73! (y)

Hey Bob, one more thing to keep in mind:

I've heard many say it's good to also read the study manual and highlight ONLY THE CORRECT ANSWERS then read through them several times, reading each question and only the highlighted correct answer to burn it into your memory.

They say when you sit down at the testing table (with that loud pipe organ of doubt hammering out it's angry drone of pessimism in your ear) and look at the barrage of questions demanding your accuracy, that you actually see the right answer staring back up at you as if the highlighter was already applied to the test!

- I didn't do it that way, evidently I did it the hard way and tried to simply memorize all the info, (though I also read the book so I'd understand what I was testing for) I didn't try the highlighter method and did miss 'a few'.
icon_redface.gif

Also, when I took the Extra class test I used the internet pool of questions to study and only used the book to correct the ones I missed, and there were questions on the test I had never seen or even heard of, so study & use the book too, it's good to also KNOW the info, not just get the answers correct!

I'll look forward to a nice long QSO with you on 10m when conditions permit!@ - 73! (y)

As I have said many times there is a huge difference between knowing the answers to the questions and actually knowing the the material. It's pretty sad when we get extras that have no idea about anything that was on the test that they supposedly passed with flying colors.

CK,, The test is what it is. Whether the answers are memorized or actually learned through years of working knowledge, they are still the answers to the questions on the test.

Until the tests are changed so the person taking the exam actually has to show that they have "hands on experience" on how to use an o-scope, or a spectrum analyzer, or design a circuit, or troubleshoot a circuit to a faulty discrete component then it will remain as it is.

In my opinion the tests are developed to make sure the operator has an understanding of the systems and circuits that are being tested on by the questions on the exam.

No where does it state that the license holder has to be competent, just knowledgeable.

Furthermore how would a handicapped person even be able to know how to have a working knowledge of test equipment, or smith charts, or polar graphs if there handicap is being blind?

As I have said many times there is a huge difference between knowing the answers to the questions and actually knowing the the material. It's pretty sad when we get extras that have no idea about anything that was on the test that they supposedly passed with flying colors.

I agree, I think if you have the time to memorize the question pool, you have more then enough time to learn the material to pass, and you will have knowledge too !

I hope no fingers are being pointed, Cap'n, and ignorance isn't limited to Extra class operators, but I agree it's good to have knowledge of as much as possible, but I believe nowadays the test is more about thinning out the population down to those who are most willing work hard enough to get their license so they both appreciate and respect it, along with the bands and other operators.

That was the real beef most older HAmateurs had when the FCC dropped the code requirement.
It was more about the work involved in learning both reasonably rapid code and the practical application of theory helping to keep all but the really serious operators off the bands along with the antics typically found accompanying the lazy riff-raff, but then you have lids like Steve-o and lil' willy here in Cali who are both 'code-ins' but consider the bands their playground for harassing as many other HAmateurs as possible.

It takes all kinds, but the original idea of furthering radio knowledge & technology has been all but lost in the new throw-away, SMT technology.

Who builds their own transmitter anymore?

We are all mostly appliance operators and about the only areas of increasing technology or semi-mystery left us is either audio quality improvements or antenna design, and most of that has also already been done.

I feel it's truly become more of a pass-time hobby than it used to be back when tubes were still being invented and perfected.

Anyway, I'd love to stay and chat more but I've got to get back to incorporating my new hand-wound Colpitts oscillator into a 1957 retro entabulator... :D

CK,, The test is what it is. Whether the answers are memorized or actually learned through years of working knowledge, they are still the answers to the questions on the test.

Yes but knowing (memorizing) the answers and understanding why it is the answer are two different things. You can memorize that a halfwave on 80m is 132 feet but why have to ask what a halfwave is on 6m? If you study the theory and formula behind it you would have the answers to all such questions.

Until the tests are changed so the person taking the exam actually has to show that they have "hands on experience" on how to use an o-scope, or a spectrum analyzer, or design a circuit, or troubleshoot a circuit to a faulty discrete component then it will remain as it is.
IMHO there is no need for hands-on, just decent understanding of things.

In my opinion the tests are developed to make sure the operator has an understanding of the systems and circuits that are being tested on by the questions on the exam.

No where does it state that the license holder has to be competent, just knowledgeable.
I disagree. If the question and answer pool was not published then I would agree. Memorizing answers does not show a good working knowledge. It simply shows good retention and if you have good retention then you could study and actually learn the stuff.

Furthermore how would a handicapped person even be able to know how to have a working knowledge of test equipment, or smith charts, or polar graphs if there handicap is being blind?
None of this is required for a ham exam. There are special exemptions available for handicapped persons when it comes to testing.

I agree, I think if you have the time to memorize the question pool, you have more then enough time to learn the material to pass, and you will have knowledge too !

I hope no fingers are being pointed, Cap'n, and ignorance isn't limited to Extra class operators, but I agree it's good to have knowledge of as much as possible, but I believe nowadays the test is more about thinning out the population down to those who are most willing work hard enough to get their license so they both appreciate and respect it, along with the bands and other operators.

That was the real beef most older HAmateurs had when the FCC dropped the code requirement.
It was more about the work involved in learning both reasonably rapid code and the practical application of theory helping to keep all but the really serious operators off the bands along with the antics typically found accompanying the lazy riff-raff, but then you have lids like Steve-o and lil' willy here in Cali who are both 'code-ins' but consider the bands their playground for harassing as many other HAmateurs as possible.

It takes all kinds, but the original idea of furthering radio knowledge & technology has been all but lost in the new throw-away, SMT technology.

Who builds their own transmitter anymore?

We are all mostly appliance operators and about the only areas of increasing technology or semi-mystery left us is either audio quality improvements or antenna design, and most of that has also already been done.

I feel it's truly become more of a pass-time hobby than it used to be back when tubes were still being invented and perfected.

Anyway, I'd love to stay and chat more but I've got to get back to incorporating my new hand-wound Colpitts oscillator into a 1957 retro entabulator... :D

No fingerpointing here except at the system which is to blame. Yes ham radio has changed but there is no reason for people to be completely ignorant of rules and regulations as well as very basic theory and still be licensed to run 1500 watts and then have no idea whatsoever what's wrong when they start to cause interference.

Is the Extra study guide revised in 06 current.

I hope so or else I wasted alot of paper printing it.:confused:

CK good remarks and the points can be debated until it is beat to pieces.

None of the following comments are directed at anyone, anywhere. Just general statements concerning the exams as it is now.

Example
The question pool does ask specific questions about what the vertical or horizontal Axis are for on a spectrum analyzer.

What and where would the average examinee have access to actually learn this if not by having an spectrum analyzer at their disposal? It can be read, and memorized but is it really understood? First one would have to read the operating manual for the spectrum analyzer to understand what exactly this piece of equipment does.

Mixers, oscillators? Sure the theory can be read, but how will anyone have knowledge of this unless they can actually use an o'scope to look at the different signals coming into the circuit and then the output signal?

Rules and regulations? Sure those can be read and understood. Do not need any expensive electronic equipment to actually understand the rules and regulations. On that subject many of the licensed ops on 80 meters may require refresher training. Or continual training.

When was the last time that an complaint was sent into the FCC about so and so did not understand how his SSB signal was transmitted?

Not trying to create any dis-content, just pointing out that certain aspects of the exam are basically hands on knowledge or just memorizing due to lack of access to equipment required to actually understand what the exam question is asking.

The exams have changed, in the future they will change some more.

Technology is moving forward at an amazing rate.

Like my daughter explains to me. "Dad why do you talk on the radio? Why not just get an I phone and video conference with them? You can see them and talk to them at the same time."

The next generation all ready has more communication technology in the palm of their hand readily available without taking any exam or proving that they even understand the theory of how it works. Global communications at a push of a button.

Ham radio has to change if it is going to keep the rice box builders in business. The major market is North America. We as amateurs buy their product, at least for now

Ham radio is changing, so will the exams. If it does not change, it will slowly fade away.

Is the Extra study guide revised in 06 current.

I hope so or else I wasted alot of paper printing it.:confused:

I have an extra ream, I'll email it to you... :blink:

It's not the paper that will break the bank, it's the INK!! :eek:

Can you direct me to a current one?

I just did the QRZ tests in the past, I'd like to do this one right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: