• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I got my license, now what?

... I'm a tech and getting bored with 2m.... Still waiting for an opportunity to take my general... I've been trying to find an opportunity to test for general for a few months now.

does that mean you can't find a local V.E. session?, or that you are too busy?

I've got plenty of local groups but it just fell out at a bad time. I think I can get a test on field day. Which is the 22nd

Reactions: 1 person
ya might want to slow down a bit and find out EXACTLY what all that "auto" logging/scanning stuff is about;).

I'll bet what he is saying and what you are hearing are two different things. good luck
You could be exactly right, those hormones really get pumping and the brains just go right out the window.:blushing:

That price isnt to bad for that radio,if it looks good and output is where it should be,around 85 to 100 watts depending on band I would say jump on it....

Talk to that ham about a low priced antenna tuner as well unless that radio has a tuner built in,MFJ makes tuners that will work...and last but not least,to save you a few dollars make your own dipole antenna,...

Those can be made for around $30 or so and that can save you up to $100 for a premade antenna
I'm going to build a fan dipole with the ugly balun and feed it with that. The antenna tuner works great on it. I watched a video on this site on how to build it. I was told that the 160 meter band doesn't have much of anything going on down there. After listening for a while for a while I'll decide which bands. I am positive 20 meters is going to be in there.

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds good Tall !! :D

Sounds like you are doing your homework.

I dont hardly ever hear anything on 160 either except 7 to 9 on my meter of static :unsure:..so I leave that band alone usually...

My favorite bands are 80 ,and 17 to 10 meters ...with 17 at the top of the list

I'm going to build a fan dipole with the ugly balun and feed it with that. The antenna tuner works great on it. I watched a video on this site on how to build it. I was told that the 160 meter band doesn't have much of anything going on down there. After listening for a while for a while I'll decide which bands. I am positive 20 meters is going to be in there.

As a new guy myself, 20 definitely seems to have a lot going for it. Fan Dipole sounds like a great idea.

Sounds good Tall !! :D

Sounds like you are doing your homework.

I dont hardly ever hear anything on 160 either except 7 to 9 on my meter of static :unsure:..so I leave that band alone usually...

My favorite bands are 80 ,and 17 to 10 meters ...with 17 at the top of the list

17 is my fav as well. The Vatican was on 18.149 this morning. Too big of a pile up to get them.

I tend to avoid 20 meters,I hate to say, simply because there are a couple of groups that run that band that are somewhat anti ...well...everybody that dont kiss their a$$ . ...

I have heard these people key over others,cuss out people,and generally be royally rude to people that dont see things like they do,and they both have their so called leaders for lack of a better term.The only good thing about them is they tend to stay on their ' home frequency ' and not drift to far from it......

But I have managed to get those two groups rather fired up :oops: so i figure just let them have that band ,to many other frequencies to play radio on

20m is usually the most reliable DX band. Anyone that would avoid 20m because of a couple idiots that at least stick to their own freqs. (14.313 and 14.275 perhaps?) is REALLY missing out on a lot. I suppose you should also avoid 80m because of all the Piss and Moan nets as well as a couple of Burp and Fart groups around 3885 AM.

Reactions: 2 people
20m is usually the most reliable DX band. Anyone that would avoid 20m because of a couple idiots that at least stick to their own freqs. (14.313 and 14.275 perhaps?) is REALLY missing out on a lot. I suppose you should also avoid 80m because of all the Piss and Moan nets as well as a couple of Burp and Fart groups around 3885 AM.

Lol

Sent from my SCH-i605 on Verizon 4G LTE.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.