• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I keep telling my self don't do it.

For sure that radio was a big bust as far as I have read and also heard from my brother in law that owns one. They tried. But did not succeed lol. If you do plan on getting it don't spend much. Good luck and god bless.

If you hunt around, NOS grants come along from time to time...I have two, one was a NOS and the other was lightly used; and both are Philippines models.

I'm sure a 148 would come up once and a while too...

Biggest problem will be to find a 148 that hasn't been hacked. Most have been. I've bought several of these radios over the last few years and have restored most of them so far. Taking out the obvious hacks and some that aren't so obvious. Such as freq hacks and modulation mods, as well as restoring the stock switches to normal function.

Then there is the maintenance work, like replacing the ch LED, meter movement, lamps, and cleaning the pots and switches. Not to mention replacing all of the old electrolytic capacitors, which is a chore. But I have found that by doing this step, the radio won't have a sudden failure due to these old caps deciding to go south out of the blue, and this has happened to me.

IOW, be prepared to do some work and pay a little additional cash. But it will be worth it to keep one these old classics in top shape, regardless if you are going to keep it or even sell it. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell for somewhat more than they did in the first place in the next few years.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.