• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need some POT, 5K that is

I guess any ole 5k will work as long as it fits in the spot the other was in. Oh and the knob would need to fit right.

I feel a little dumb for destroying the one I had. :confused:

not to hijack the thread, but just in the last week i have had to explain how to search for things on google to about three people here at work.

yes, they knew to type in the thing they were looking for, but i was surprised to find out that none of them had ever heard of using quotes in their searches.

so, in the interest of spreading knowledge; anytime you are searching for something using more than one word, google and all the other search engines will find anything that contains those words, regardless of whether or not they are next to eachother.
the page you come across could be huge, and just because those words are in the search, even if they are 600 pages apart, the site will show up as a match.

when you use quotes around a pair of words, a phrase, or a sentence; only pages which contain those words in that order will appear.

one thing i like to do when i am searching for how to do something is put quotes over the words "how to" or "how do i" and then use a couple of key words after that.

for example, if i wanted to learn how to change the valve cover gasket on my saturn (which i have to do); instead of just typing in the words: saturn valve cover gasket replacement, i would type in: "how to" "valve cover gasket" "1993 saturn".

that way, only pages that actually have something to do with explaining how to change the gasket will come up.

it is a huge time saver.
i hope this helps someone!

later,
LC

I agree that perhaps most people do not know how to use a search engine. Luckily I started using computers in the 3rd grade. I was the first generation to start using computers at such a young age in school. That makes me a gen x'er. Back them it was an apple IIe.. We did basic programming to make pictures. We played Oregon Trail and did math games.

The use of search engines was taught in "computer classes" in middle school. Advance computer usage was taught in high school. In college I learned how to do more and more stuff with a computer.

Now days I am sure kids use computers in every class everyday. I guess they too are being taught the proper way to navigate the internet, but perhaps not. I suspect the people slightly older than I, that learned how to use computers as an adult, are the one's with only basic computer literacy. I know my mother can email people but that's about it. See learned how to use a computer in her 50's. I bet there are exceptions though. I don't doubt that there are some people in their 50's-60's that know how to operate a computer better than I do. I have an uncle that is 50 and he is a network engineer... I am pretty sure he knows more about computers than I do.. but then again computers is not my career field. He had to pay a lot of money to go to school as an adult to learn that.

Doing searches in quotes is great. You can also join several phrases with "+". Using quotes for a specific search will very often limit the number of "hits" to just a couple of pages. Now the real problem starts.. what if the specific item you are searching for is not listed on a website the SAME way you are searching for it. Kinda like all the mis-categorized stuff on ebay.

If I remember right(yes I am now getting old enough to forget the things I did a day ago) I did a googe search of "HR2510 5k POT", "Uniden 5k POT", "2510 SWR POT"+"5k". I even emailed Uniden.. It goes on and on... I could have easily spent an hour doing different types of searches. I decided the easiest way for me to find a POT was to post it on a forum where people would more likely "know" where to look. And guess what? It worked. I got a direct link to what I needed but could not find.

Thanks for the link btw. FYI..BTW=By The Way

People helping people... gotta love the internet. ;)

FYI= For Your Information

I agree that perhaps most people do not know how to use a search engine. Luckily I started using computers in the 3rd grade. I was the first generation to start using computers at such a young age in school. That makes me a gen x'er. Back them it was an apple IIe.. We did basic programming to make pictures. We played Oregon Trail and did math games.

The use of search engines was taught in "computer classes" in middle school. Advance computer usage was taught in high school. In college I learned how to do more and more stuff with a computer.

Now days I am sure kids use computers in every class everyday. I guess they too are being taught the proper way to navigate the internet, but perhaps not. I suspect the people slightly older than I, that learned how to use computers as an adult, are the one's with only basic computer literacy. I know my mother can email people but that's about it. See learned how to use a computer in her 50's. I bet there are exceptions though. I don't doubt that there are some people in their 50's-60's that know how to operate a computer better than I do. I have an uncle that is 50 and he is a network engineer... I am pretty sure he knows more about computers than I do.. but then again computers is not my career field. He had to pay a lot of money to go to school as an adult to learn that.

Doing searches in quotes is great. You can also join several phrases with "+". Using quotes for a specific search will very often limit the number of "hits" to just a couple of pages. Now the real problem starts.. what if the specific item you are searching for is not listed on a website the SAME way you are searching for it. Kinda like all the mis-categorized stuff on ebay.

If I remember right(yes I am now getting old enough to forget the things I did a day ago) I did a googe search of "HR2510 5k POT", "Uniden 5k POT", "2510 SWR POT"+"5k". I even emailed Uniden.. It goes on and on... I could have easily spent an hour doing different types of searches. I decided the easiest way for me to find a POT was to post it on a forum where people would more likely "know" where to look. And guess what? It worked. I got a direct link to what I needed but could not find.

Thanks for the link btw. FYI..BTW=By The Way

People helping people... gotta love the internet. ;)

FYI= For Your Information

lol= learned on line. keekles

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.