• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need your input.

BangSwitch

Apr 15, 2007
So I just picked up a Sears RoadTalker 40. This thing is still in the box, and everything in the box is still in plastic. There are tags on it still. It really looks like it has never been out of the box. It even has the sears price tag on the box.

My question is, if I sell it do I sell it as it is, or do I test it? I feel like it looses something if I take it out and hook it up for testing, but if I don't then we don't know if it works...

What say you?

Thanks

How do you know it works then? Did you just take someone's word for it when you bought it? Would you want to go through the whole trouble of selling/shipping it to someone and then they tell you it doesn't work?

Test it and re-package it.
You can tell them you you know it works because you tested it before you put it up for sale . . .

Reactions: 1 person
If it has SSB its a goodie! I like the old Sears SSB rigs, very stable on SSB and they talk great!!!!!

Thats why I asked if it was the SSB radio, I have or had a few of the old AM radios and remember they had the stupid plastic 5 pin din plug for the microphone connectors. I actully still have a few of those mics here in the pile of microphones.

had a 23 channel road talker and krako 23 ssb...they where the same boards as the browning ltd and tram d60...all great,,,have a d60 ltd and a krako ssb coming soon...my mint ltd i have had since new,its 23 still...73 de JW

n0zna;421510... krako 23 ssb...they where the same boards as the browning ltd and tram d60...all great...[/QUOTE said:
ahhhhhh, the ole Krako "spark-o-matic" .............**Jump_im** brings back memories

1) Never sell anything without testing it first.
2) If it doesn't work, tell the prospective buyer there is a problem and sell it as is.
3) Just powering up the unit to see if the lights work doesn't count as testing. Typical Ebay crap.
The 4th and most important rule of selling radio equipment is......DON'T SELL ANYTHING THAT YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO BUY YOURSELF IF YOU NEEDED ONE!!!!!

Follow these rules and you'll do fine, but try it to sell it here first!

Last edited:
depends on who you're selling to. serious collectors want things untouched, unopened, virgin all the way.
if you're selling it to someone who wants a cb to talk on, then open it and test it.
then there are all the people in between. collectors who don't want it unless it works, talkers who want as mint of a classic as they can get.
whichever way you go, someone won't want it because it's untested, or opened, or whatever.

if you wait for a serious collector, it'll take longer to sell, but you'll get more. if you sell to the first person that comes along you won't make as much but it won't be sitting around for years.

I'd try selling to the collectors first, un-tested. then if you get no takers, test it and sell to the talkers.

depends on who you're selling to. serious collectors want things untouched, unopened, virgin all the way.
if you're selling it to someone who wants a cb to talk on, then open it and test it.
then there are all the people in between. collectors who don't want it unless it works, talkers who want as mint of a classic as they can get.
whichever way you go, someone won't want it because it's untested, or opened, or whatever.

if you wait for a serious collector, it'll take longer to sell, but you'll get more. if you sell to the first person that comes along you won't make as much but it won't be sitting around for years.

I'd try selling to the collectors first, un-tested. then if you get no takers, test it and sell to the talkers.

Serious collectors would want a radio that works as designed and if that means hooking it up to test all functions......that goes without saying.

I ran across a Halicrafter 40 channel AM CB.
It was not in the plastic.
It was not in the box.
It did not have an original price tag on it.
It was not SSB (that's why I didn't buy it).
It did have a mic, but I didn't notice if it was a 5 pin din.
It might work, I don't know . . . but I guess this is a Roadtalker thread . . .
;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.