• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-2820 Data Cable Questions

KF7RUQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 7, 2011
Ok, here's another 2820 Question, that I can't find any answers on.

I even called Icom Customer support, and the Tech was worthless. He complained that I was putting him out of his way, by having the longest duration call that he had all day. And this was when he wasn't attempting to do the "IT Dept belittling" moves. I must have offended him when I asked if he could help and stop whining about how his office was understaffed.

Anyway, ICOM Tech Support $ucks.

There is a Mini 6 din connector, on the front of the radio, behind the face plate. Close to it is stamped, "PACKET." It seems obvious, that it would be for "PACKET." But I don't understand as to how to use/utilize this.

I can't find a lot of info on the cable needed, The manual and web page say little about a RS-232C cable. Is it a Mini DIN 6 to serial or a PS2 gaming adapter that has DIN6 to USB to use with a USB cable, or is the DIN 6 just to allow a Keyboard to be plugged into the radio?

And after that, what are the programs or software that are needed? Is that when D-Rats can be used?

All advice/ experience is appreciated.

Thanks for the help......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.