• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom- 2100h 25n

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I just ordered one of these new. Has anyone used one ?

sonwatchersig.gif

CDX_3.gif

God bless you all !

CDX-897

OT-897

WV-897

CM-2368

American Kangaroo-1897</p>

Yes I have one I use as a base radio and like it. Also for an external speaker I use an RCA Pro-X33AV you can get at radio shack. Good combination, works well.

</p>

they are one of the best 2 meter rigs out there. built like a tank. almost all heat sink. very easy to operate and most from the dtmf mic. i have 3- 2100's and 2 -2200's. would absolutely reccomend them.
as far as the random tx on your rig jack. there is a fix for crackling sound on audio. it is a ground problem for one of the boards. just get some star lock washers and put them under the screws on the board and it fixes the problem. maybe yours is not getting enough ground to make it tx sometimes.
here is the cut and paste for the crackle sound

After you own this radio for a while it will develope a crackling sound in the speaker on transmit. The same noise will be heard on your transmitted signal.

Here is the fix:

Remove the four screws that holds the cover on. You will see a bunch of 3mm screws that hold down the main board to the case.

Loosen all the screws and then re-tighten them. The noise will go away.

The permanent fix is to put #4 star washers under each screw.

As long as you have the radio open, with the display facing you, you will see two holes on the left side of the circuit board. Place a #4 self tapping sheet metal screw (3/8 inch long) in each hole. Not only will this make the above microphonic noise go away, it will improve your quality of modulation. People will notice if you have been working them for a while.

Thanks troyota, for the info. My radio dosen't have any crackling sound in it. When I
key it up the first time it Tx's fine the first 1-2 times, when my contact comes back and
turns it back to me, It just won't key up again, I have to keep trying the PTT, and maybe
it will tx once. I have had four different Antennas on the car. I thought maybe that was the problem, but no. I will try your fix and see what happends...
Thanks..

I have one in my truck as my everyday 2M and have had several others over the years. Love mine. And they're too easy to modify for out of band TX for MURS use ect...you'll get 136~174mhz. Never had any problems with any of them except for the awful stoopid decision for all of the manufacturers, not just Icom, to move away from the heavy mic connectors and use those gall dang modular telephone type connectors. In time they will develop problems with making poor contact across the pins and you'll have to start cleaning them and bending the male pins out so they'll press harder against the other contact set.

Great radios. Set one up for my stepson who is a county firefighter. Rig does any offset and pl tone so he has access to all local public safety freqs. Fortunately we're out here in the sticks and everything is still on plain ol' VHF

interview.gif

Thanks troyota, for the info. My radio dosen't have any crackling sound in it. When I
key it up the first time it Tx's fine the first 1-2 times, when my contact comes back and
turns it back to me, It just won't key up again, I have to keep trying the PTT, and maybe
it will tx once. I have had four different Antennas on the car. I thought maybe that was the problem, but no. I will try your fix and see what happends...
Thanks..

no problem jack. if it is random tx, probably a mic. do what sonwatcher says. or if you know someone that has an icom see if you can try there mic on it. the ic-2100h will use several mics. here is a list straight from the owners manual. hm-77, hm-77a, hm-78, hm-96, hm-118, hm-79, hm-97, hm-95, hm-98s, hm-118t, hm-118ta. probably even more than this.
good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio