• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 7000 ALC. Having problems turning it down.. Pleae advise.

Can you give us a little more info than that? What mic are you using, what are the applicable settings on the rig. What is the ALC reading, etc. It's a little hard to help on something like this without some more info.

My first reaction (if you already tried the mic gain setting) is that you have the compression turned up too much. Did you try adjusting the speech compressor?

Thanks, Yes the compressor, but that only works on SSB.. I think.. oh well, I will enjoy playing with this and if I blow it up...I will learn.. LOL .. I will at least figure out what not to next time.. LOL
Doug

Should work on all modes. Does on my 746.

ALC on audio out is a function of the mic gain. Too much audio? Turn down the mic gain.

Thanks, Yes the compressor, but that only works on SSB.. I think..

Yep, on the 7000 audio compression is only active when in SSB mode.

Should work on all modes. Does on my 746.

ALC on audio out is a function of the mic gain. Too much audio? Turn down the mic gain.

Exactly right...from pg. 36 of the owner's manual:

When the meter movement shows the input signal level exceeds the allowable level, the ALC limits the RF power. In such cases, reduce the MIC gain setting (see p. 38) in the quick set mode.

Yea, What WR0220 says. Press the AF knob in once and set mode apears at the bottom. press the F1 button just below the QS and you will see up and down arrows. press up or down arrow till a little #2 shows between the arrows and you will be in mic gain set mode.
Then you just turn the big main knob either way to increase or decrease the gain. I have mine set to 75% on SSB without com and about 25% an am. the 7000 runs best at lower power and lower mic gain on AM. Radio is best on SSB. It just is not the best for am use.

Hope this helps.
AP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.