• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 745 dead

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
I have one that turns on but the display is dead and I cannot select modes or anything. Anyone got any hints?

I don't know if this radio is new to you and it came this way or not, but...........

Since you have the radio with the problems that can be caused by just about anything, or something very simple like a harness that needs cleaning, or just needs all the capacitors replaced. (Nothing like recapping and it still doesn't work.)

You'll have to start by having the service manual and schematic to read and study. Once you get familiar with all of the different circuits, their connections, and how they're laid out and work with each other. You might be able to find a problem area to start looking at. I can't stress "Read the service manual" enough.

Once you have an idea of what doesn't work and where it's located in the radio. It would be the time to open up the radio. (I'm sure you opened it a long time ago.)

You'll want to look for any bad traces, bad-looking capacitors, resistors, or even diodes ...... anything that just doesn't look right. It may be a harness not making a good connection. If it works after that then you're done,
if not .......................

It's time to trace for voltages, that should be there. If there is voltage (or signal) missing it could be from a bad capacitor, a bad regulator that supplies voltage to other circuits, or something else ....... like a bad solder connection.

The answer you don't want to find out is that one of the CPUs is bad or parts are no longer available. Many people scrap radios and sell parts on flea-bay.

Wish I had the answer you wanted, but that's why techs make the big bucks, they either know from experience or troubleshoot .... Some techs just send it back saying they fixed it!

Please, let us know how it turns out.

Hope you had a good 4th of July,

I don't know if this radio is new to you and it came this way or not, but...........

Since you have the radio with the problems that can be caused by just about anything, or something very simple like a harness that needs cleaning, or just needs all the capacitors replaced. (Nothing like recapping and it still doesn't work.)

You'll have to start by having the service manual and schematic to read and study. Once you get familiar with all of the different circuits, their connections, and how they're laid out and work with each other. You might be able to find a problem area to start looking at. I can't stress "Read the service manual" enough.

Once you have an idea of what doesn't work and where it's located in the radio. It would be the time to open up the radio. (I'm sure you opened it a long time ago.)

You'll want to look for any bad traces, bad-looking capacitors, resistors, or even diodes ...... anything that just doesn't look right. It may be a harness not making a good connection. If it works after that then you're done,
if not .......................

It's time to trace for voltages, that should be there. If there is voltage (or signal) missing it could be from a bad capacitor, a bad regulator that supplies voltage to other circuits, or something else ....... like a bad solder connection.

The answer you don't want to find out is that one of the CPUs is bad or parts are no longer available. Many people scrap radios and sell parts on flea-bay.

Wish I had the answer you wanted, but that's why techs make the big bucks, they either know from experience or troubleshoot .... Some techs just send it back saying they fixed it!

Please, let us know how it turns out.

Hope you had a good 4th of July,
That doesn't help me at all. Read the manual helps me in no way as to trying to figure out why the radio is dead. I'm hoping someone chines in that knows what to look for in this rig...

Could be a bad battery. Check that first. If its dead the radio won't work.
Check that the ribbon cables are pushed in correctly feeding the front panel.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.