• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-2720 DriveAmp Transistor Failure

arkansasbill

Sep 12, 2010
I have the subject dual band 2 mtr/70 cm fm transceiver. It habitually blows
Q25 (2sk3075) drive amplifier in the power amplifier. I have replaced this
transistor several times and the unit may work for a month or several months
before blowing this transistor again. Has anyone else had the same trouble
and is there a cure that anyone has identified??
Thanks,
Bill KC5MN

I had the same radio a while back and had the typical failure you described. In my case, Icom repaired it for free as this was happening with many of those radios. I've copied an email below that has been floating around the internet if you want to try fixing the problem permanently. I haven't verified this and I no longer have this radio:

Hi Pat, the earlier units needed R102 changed from a 100 ohm to a 39 ohm & a thermal pad placed under the board beneath D36 (main board). This is being implemented from manufacturing now.
The "unofficial fix" done here in service is to resolder all the TX/RX diodes with silver solder and add a 16V zener diode to the driver transistor (across C93).
A bulletin from home company states their fix is improved soldering practices on the driver transistor. This is being implemented from s/n 0505701 on.

Kevin B
ICOM America, Inc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,