• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-706MKIIG Reverse Swing

I have had my Icom IC-706MKIIG for about 5 months and I am getting reverse swing when I modulate. I was first told by some guys on the radio that this was happening. I put a power meter in line to verify that this was indeed happening and it is. I have a LDG AT-7000 Auto tuner in line and it still shows reverse swing on my meter. My radio does not show reverse swing on the display, Only on the meter in line. It was showing reverse swing with or without the new auto tuner in line. What could be the problem? My SWR's are perfect with or without the auto tuner or meter in line. I did buy the rig used, I noticed that it's output is about 55-60watts on AM with a whistle, From the factory it is supposed to max at 40watts. On SSB it hits almost 120watts with a whistle and is only supposed to do 100watts. Is it possible that the ALC was turned up to high causing the reverse swing? The station is not grounded as of yet since it is in a temporary location until the vertical gets up on the roof, Could this be the problem? Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

Larry T.

Where do I start........

I purchased a '706 brand new (with documentation and manual; very good reading!) last year and out of the box, on AM, it swings backward; this is normal for this radio. The AM detector on the receiving radio does not care if the modulation is forward or backward, it de-codes the intelligence from the "delta" of amplitude versus the unmodulated carrier.

broncoman529, nowhere in your message did you mention that you monitored the sound of the radio on another receiver; all you seemed concerned about was what you were "seeing" on your "What-meter".

The manner that you are using to "test" (whistling in the mic on AM) leads me to believe that you think you own a "CB" Radio, you do not! The IC-706 series of radio were designed for Amateur Radio service, not AM citizen's band operation; your tit could be caught in a wringer if you are caught operating that modified radio on the wrong frequencies.

You wanna run CB, get a CB radio, if you are a licensed Amateur operator, use your ham equipment as it was designed and your Amateur license as authorized.

ko0m

BTW, somebody suggested that you pop the skins on the '706 and nose around; unless you can look at the schematic and know the function of each resistor, capacitor, inductor and, solid state device and how it works in conjunction with the part soldered next to it, don't do it; you are an "Appliance Operator" and don't belong in there.

BTW, somebody suggested that you pop the skins on the '706 and nose around; unless you can look at the schematic and know the function of each resistor, capacitor, inductor and, solid state device and how it works in conjunction with the part soldered next to it, don't do it; you are an "Appliance Operator" and don't belong in there.

I thought you said you read the user manual.

It clearly shows where the carrier adjustment is and it's reccomended setting.

I thought you said you read the user manual.

It clearly shows where the carrier adjustment is and it's reccomended setting.

No it does not.

......unless you can look at the schematic and know the function of each resistor, capacitor, inductor and, solid state device and how it works in conjunction with the part soldered next to it............you are an "Appliance Operator" and don't belong in there.

Beyond replacing the the fuse (pg. 56) and adding the optional filters, there is just enough information for the screwdriver jockies to mess up a good radio (pg.63).

On what page do you see a user adjustable recommended setting for the internal transmit control pots?

The transmit output power is adjustable from a menu accessed by the "Display" button.

On what page do you see a user adjustable recommended setting for the internal transmit control pots?

My bad, it's the compression adjustment. Page 5.

Page 63 has the location of the AM carrier power. No recommended setting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.