• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-718

43Echo695

Oct 19, 2008
Queensland, Australia
Hi Folks,

A new IC-718 is on my shopping list. The radio will for now be used entirely for stationary mobile hilltop DXing from my car, until I move to my next QTH and can set up a base station.

I have read some reviews (on Eham.net I think) for this radio and most of them are very positive. A couple of posts refer to two issues though:

1. Brief power output spikes on key up when running radio at lower power levels.
2. Radio is vulnerable to static discharge (through the control dials??)

Since I will be running the radio from the car, both of these issues concern me.

I'm keen on the IC-718 because it suits my budget, compact size, has fully variable output & I can run it as a base when it suits.

Would like other WWRF members experiences & opinions thanks, 695

:unsure:

I owned both the FT-450 and IC-718 at the same time and both bought new. The FT-450 is by far the better radio. Here are just a few differences but there are many more. The IC-718 has no FM mode, so no working 10 m FM or repeaters. The FT-450 operates all bands including 6 meters..the 718 does not operate on 6m. The really irritating missing feature on the IC-718 is an adjustable AGC. It has a fixed AGC unlike the 450 and just about every other HF radio out there. Very hard to listen to SSB for very long with the AGC in a fixed value.

My intent with buying both was to bench test them side by side and keep the better rig. I sold the 718 within two weeks. Icom should have done more to make the 718 a "complete" rig like the FT-450. For the money IMOH you can't beat the FT-450. I think the FT-450D is available now which incorporats a lot of the things 450 owners wanted to add. I'll probably wind up buying one after it's been on the market for a year or so. good luck

IC-718

Thanks n0zna & RatsoW8.

Yes the FT-450 was my 2nd choice, and I admit I would prefer something all-mode, although I mainly use SSB. The FT-450 is pricier too.

The IC-718 good or bad seems to polarize a lot of people.

But getting back to my original post, I went back and looked through the Eham.net forums. Do a search for IC-718 in their reviews, and scroll through and look at some of the lower scoring reviews.

There are several mentions of the power spike & the static issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.