• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If I was going to Buy a new 40 ch CB with SSB

I recommended the Uniden 980 to my friend for his first rig based on all the good things i've read about it on here. He ended up getting it along with a wilson 1000 antenna and it seems to be doing the job for him. He gets out.

If I had to choose to get something brand new, I'd go with the Uniden 980.

I can put channels in, and open the clarifier, that wasn't too difficult. The difficult part for me is getting rid of that RD16HHF1 junk mosfet they use for a final in those radios. And there-in lies the problem.

Uniden chose that final because it takes extremely low input to drive the final to full output. By using this particular final, they were able to do away with one complete stage of the transmit section. If you notice, there's no driver in the radio at all, that stage is non-existent in the 980. It goes right from the pre-driver stage into the final stage. Cheap cheap and more cheap is why they did this, less parts, and simpler construction.

In my opinion, that's the only thing that is lacking in the radio. If someone could find a replacement for the RD16HHF1 they use, and get a few more watts PEP out of the radio, then I think we'd have a winner.

~Cheers~

Can't you use that to drive a final or such as a KL35 to drive a larger amp? It's just something I thought about doing if I bought a 980.

I just googled a picture of the 880, and it appears that it has a predriver stage, a driver stage, and a final stage. Interesting.

Looks like a C3202 for a predriver, a C2314 for a driver, and probably the RD16HHF1 for a final. I couldn't make out the final, but it could also possibly be a C2078 as well.

~Cheers~

Do you think you can duplicate the 880's predriver and driver section on the 980 or is it different from a 880 altogether?

It appears to be a different kind of beast altogether. The 980 looks like it's using a pair of C3202's in push-pull to drive the final. I suppose another stage could be added, but it would require way too much time and engineering to make it than what it's worth.

I did install an IRF520N to see if I could get anything out, but the C3202's couldn't provide enough drive to the 520 to put out much power... it put out about a watt or so.

~Cheers~

If you like the 979, then it's silly not to take the 959 and get the frequency counter. The P1 P2 Channel mod is ridiculously easy and then you have the freq. counter to tell you where you are instead of having to keep a channel chart around all the time.

I don't need a chanel chart it's a 40 chanel radio and I have the external 6 digit counter. Is the 959's a display or a counter befors the mod and after

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.