• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you guys get a chance pick up a CObra 138XLR!!

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
Like so many things in life sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

I picked this one up pre-covid for under $140 with free shipping. I got with it a CObra CA-50 Mic which I mistakenly called a Ca-55 in the box, a Micronta 1.5A power supply, 2 of the hot swap locking brackets, the radio in box, an Archer external speaker with switchable filter(just a cap inside unit) a ton of sealed hardware, keys, fuses, mounting bracket with the old school all metal thumb screws and full documentation.

Cosmetically it is an 8.5-9.5 but I think it will move to a solid 9.5 with just some Windex and q-tips.

Internally it has not been touched everything is factory original. All caps and transistors factory. I tried it tonight on a K40 on a stock pot with an extra 108" whip under said stock pot as a radial. Skip was rolling in and it was sensitive and sounded great. I had not heard one of these since the 1980's maybe early 1990's. I forgot how good these things sounded and how good the ears are!

If you find one that is in decent shape and you are willing to recap it and do other minor house keeping these things are great. Mine seems to have all tight crisp pots. The first 1-2 minutes of use the channel selector had some digits out but with some use all the led segments came back to life.

The 1970's Micronta 1.5A linear power supply is what I ran it on and that worked too. It is all orignal as well and I know this because the case ont he power supply is pop riveted shut and the rivets where nicely oxidized!

I compared it on receive to a NOS Uniden PC 78XL Philippines and while the receive audio sounded better on the PC78 the signal was way stronger on the Cobra 138XLR. I am guessing the 138XLR just needs a new speaker.

The receive on the 138XLR was just so strong! No local traffic so not clear how my audio sounded. I did talk to Coastal Carolina and I talked on the Bowel on 6. You might have heard me on ch 11 and 28 tonight.

I had to re glue the felt on the top side of the case tonight.

I used the stock mic from the Uniden PC78XL tonight since I did not have a 7/7.5 volt #175 battery for the Cobra CA-50 mic and had no clue how it would sound with out the battery.

I was talking from Mid-Michigan with no power tonight!

This thing is untouched and from 1978 and I think it was on par with a Cobra 148GTL or Uniden Grant LT! Clearly power and audio are prob. not as good but it is close enough that no one would know with or without an amp behind it!

The tone control worked great as did the dimmer!

In fact I just order 2N6487's for the 2SC1419's and tantaliums but upgraded to 35V devices and found I have all the caps I need. All Nichicon, Fuji, Panasonics and other Japanese, European caps.

What are you guys using for replacements should you need them for the 2SC1307 finals? I have a matched pair of 2SC1969's, 2166 and 2312's all from RF Parts but since they are matched pairs I am not going to use them in a single final radio since they are unobtanium today. Any one using HG transistors or NTE parts that can still be had for the 2SC1307's should I need one?

The gain on the 2SC1307's was always fantastic so I never did the 2SC1969 swap in any radio I owned in the past.

I will likely set the dead key to 1.5w and SSB to 12w or so and if I need it add an amp like a 1 or 2 transistor amp.

This unit is so large unless I buy a fullsize truck in the next year or two it will likely be a base radio!

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
In fact I just order 2N6487's for the 2SC1419's and tantaliums but upgraded to 35V devices and found I have all the caps I need. All Nichicon, Fuji, Panasonics and other Japanese, European caps.

What are you guys using for replacements should you need them for the 2SC1307 finals? I have a matched pair of 2SC1969's, 2166 and 2312's all from RF Parts but since they are matched pairs I am not going to use them in a single final radio since they are unobtanium today. Any one using HG transistors or NTE parts that can still be had for the 2SC1307's should I need one?

The gain on the 2SC1307's was always fantastic so I never did the 2SC1969 swap in any radio I owned in the past.

I will likely set the dead key to 1.5w and SSB to 12w or so and if I need it add an amp like a 1 or 2 transistor amp.

This unit is so large unless I buy a fullsize truck in the next year or two it will likely be a base radio!
My experience with HG's devices has been negative. I refuse to use them. They do not meet the same specs as original. I bought a selection to test and try in radios. Some didn't get past the alignment before they failed (5 mins), some just didn't work right. I have been using IRF520 or IRF530 to replace the 1307 and 1969.

I just do not have any 1307's. I was wrong I am out of 2SC2312's.

I have some of those unknown maker Palomar ERF2030's if I ever decided to go the mosfet route.

I have not to date not needed to do a single mosfet conversion but the stash of parts is running low!

Maybe this will be my first mosfet conversion when needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.