• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 on a 190' tower crane Swr problem

Mar 14, 2016
Hello fellow cb'ers. My question is for the Imax 2000 on 11 meter band. I am a tower crane operator & I use my height to my advantage. For about 5 years now I've been installing my antenna @ the very top of my rigs. Problem is this time around I can't get my swr's any lost than a 2.1. I think I've tried everything. Even bought a new 2000 thinking that my old one May be faulty. What do you guys think wouldl help me. I've tried rf isolator by mfj 915, turning my coax at the Fed point to a 90. Also I'm using a analyzer. No luck yet

Have you tried putting together the full setup at ground level to see if the SWR issue appears there?

Really just a process of elimination.

If setup works perfectly on ground but not on crane then something on the crane mounting has changed from previous installs that is causing the issue.

If setup has issue on the ground then you'll have to inspect each element to solve.

If it worked fine in previous crane installs but not this one and the mounting is exactly the same then something in the chain of equipment is having an issue. Personally I'd check coax first.

Reactions: Robb
I've tried everything but that. I've got a new coax (40' lmr flex) I was reading the manual & saw that they say that the base should be 18' above a steel structure. I only have it around 5' above right now so I can reach the tunning rings. But I will try what you suggested

I would suspect the "new" coax, may have bad soldering or connections,

You can use the analyzer to check your coax also.

Reactions: Road Squawker
I would suspect the "new" coax, may have bad soldering or connections,

You can use the analyzer to check your coax also.

I've been having this problem every since I've been in this new crane. I had my old Imax up with the old coax, same problem. So I replaced both antenna & coa and the problem still exist. Should I be trying to find good ground. My crane it's grounded. One other thought is rf in the area. I'm in close proximity with Dulles airport. Could the airport communications be considered to give me rf problems too. Just a thought

hmmm interesting.

Do you have a metal pole you have the I2K mounted to, the end fed .64 wl needs mounted to a metal pole to act as the other part of the antenna, if not then the coax acts as the other half of the antenna thus CMC may be causing VSWR issues,

My guess is you have the Antenna mounted to close. and the metal body or rigging is interfering. No the airport comms are not effecting your SWR.
We need a few pics to see what you have done .Anything else is just a wild guess.
I worked in the commercial two way game, and have installed hundreds of two ways into cranes.Dont you hate climbing the tower only to find you left something in the truck..

Last edited:
My guess is you have the Antenna mounted to close. and the metal body or rigging is interfering. No the airport comms are not effecting your SWR.
We need a few pics to see what you have done .Anything else is just a wild guess.
I worked in the commercial two way game, and have installed hundreds of two ways into cranes.Dont you hate climbing the tower only to find you left something in the truck..

Haaaaa(n). i hate after I come down to realize I've left my truck keys. I'll post some pictures in the morning.

hmmm interesting.

Do you have a metal pole you have the I2K mounted to, the end fed .64 wl needs mounted to a metal pole to act as the other part of the antenna, if not then the coax acts as the other half of the antenna thus CMC may be causing VSWR issues,

You might be on to something there I've been wondering about my mast. I think I kind of half assed it this time. Rushing from my last crane to this crane

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.