• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 SWR question

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
If I have my radio set to 27.385.0 AM and my SWR is 1:3 unmodulated and 1:5-1:6 or so modulating, what is the problem and how do I tune down the SWR's. I know I need to use the tuning rings but, do I go up or down? Also, What channel is best to set the SWR's on?

OK. Here is my setup... HR2600, KLV400, Autek Research WM1 computing Meter and Heil PR20 microphone, going into my Imax 2000. I am also using which I feel does not play into the equation but, feel I should mention just in case. The mic is running into a W2IHY 8-band equalizer and EQplus.

My SWR(no...'s) was 1:1:1-1:2:1(with no forward movement of my SWR meter needle) before I put the KLV400 in line. I put the radio on 27.385am because that is around where I will be talking. (27.385lsb-27.615lsb is the general area I will be talking) I ran a dead key from my radio and used the variable power knob to adjust it to 5 watts, before I turned on the amp. I then turned on the amp and adjusted it for max power, using the TUNE, LOAD knobs with just a dead key. I am not completely oblivious to radio. I have been into it since the mid 80's. I am just having a brain cramp as to why I am seeing such a difference in SWR(without the amp as opposed to the amp being in line) and why I am getting a forward swing on my SWR meter needle. I also needed to know, IF I was doing everything right and I need to tune the antenna, do I turn the tuning rings up or down to lower the SWR and whether I turn both(with one being a locking ring or just one(top or bottom)

Disclaimer.... The meter is on the 2000 watt scale and also in the PEAK position.(The meter has PEAK and AVERAGE)

I am looking for suggestion, comments or any wisdom anybody could bestow on me, not smart remarks or sarcasm. Thank You in advance.

Okay, knowing about the amplifier does make a diffrence. And you've basically done the 'finding' yourself, difference is because of the amplifier being in-line. Should that make a difference? No, it shouldn't, but since it does, and there has been no change in the antenna, the reason for the difference is the amplifier, like it or not.
Which way should you move the 'rings' to tune the antenna? Can't say from only the information given. That SWR thing is an either/or thingy. The 1.2:1 means an input impedance of either 60 ohms, OR 40 ohms. The 1.6:1 means either 80 ohms or 20 ohms. The meter can't tell you which it is, only that there is a difference. How do you tell? You've got a choice, make a change and see what happens, or spend $$$ and get something that will tell you which way to go (or borrow one!). The least expensive way to go is the borrowing thingy (first choice if it were me). Second least expensive is at least two trips to the antenna (only one trip if you're extremely lucky). And third 'least expensive' is buy the new meter.
Which way to do the rings? I hope you have the manual for that antenna, it's been way too long since I had to remember. Bet someone else can tell you though.
- 'Doc

Measure SWR on Channels 1, 20 and 40 to determine where the antenna provides the best match. As Doc said, you simply can't measure on one frequency and ask which way to adjust.

Also, I suspect your WM-1 meter might be in need of a little repair (or replacement). I don't think your SWR is changing when you speak into the microphone. A WM-1 shouldn't do more than wiggle a bit on SWR right around where the unmodulated value is. Again, SWR is not dependent on power level.

Measure the SWR. Plot the curve. Adjust so that the lowest SWR is on the frequency you tend to use the most. And remember that a 1.8:1 SWR is not the end of the world. Well designed equipment won't have any problem with it.

BTW: where you going on your AT? Retired USNR CWO-4 here.
(Also retired USN civilian, as of today!)

you never said what coax your using ...and did you check the ground on it?
and set it for channel 20

Just adjust the antenna for 38 with the amp inline off...I wouldn't worry to much about what the SWR is after the amp is on ,thats when you set the antenna rings not after the amp is fired up and online...hell I run a 2 swinging 40 which = 600 swinging 1000 into a tube amp and watch my SWR swing up a tad been doing that for years...(many meters do this.Don't let no one fool you about this!)I call it a false reading because of the power going through it...and if I was wrong I be blowing a lot of test equipment and amps..and never have I blew one yet!

most of them antennas the rings should be together at the bottom from the start...if you can't go buy or borrow an antenna analyzer...
do it the manual old way...adjust it by your meter and you moving the rings, so what if you have to climb and re-climb till you get it right(or set it at a level you can do this) beats paying big bucks for something that your not going to use alot..Think about it...before that analyzer what did we have!
thats 1 piece of equipment most can do without for that price on it for 1 antenna,for what you can do manually..

Lords, you sound pretty sure about your advise, "...most of them antennas the rings should be together at the bottom from the start."

Everbody I know and ever Solarcon I have ever seen, suggest that the rings are set at the factory and they always come set at or near the middle from what I have seen. I don't say this as fact, right or wrong, but that is what I have understood for years and now you come along say something entirely different.

Could you tell me where you got that information or show us a study or report that says you are right and that is the way it is?

Beetle, First off, Thanks for your reply and to all who answered me. I have 17-1/2 years in the Army, most as a Infantry soldier. My MOS now is MP. We will be doing our 2 week AT at FT.Pickett, Just on the other side of Richmond, VA.

Marconi said:
Lords, you sound pretty sure about your advise, "...most of them antennas the rings should be together at the bottom from the start."

Everbody I know and ever Solarcon I have ever seen, suggest that the rings are set at the factory and they always come set at or near the middle from what I have seen. I don't say this as fact, right or wrong, but that is what I have understood for years and now you come along say something entirely different.

Could you tell me where you got that information or show us a study or report that says you are right and that is the way it is?

called hands on and doing a lot of them and the ((see the bold))best way I got great readings from the meters is lower to the bottom for mid channel 20 (and yes most are set in the factory in the middle but is that in the middle from the top or in the middle from the bottom and with what meter or equipment what watts and how long? we don't know this! we go off what THEY SAY!)as for study and report there ya go...as for the internet give me a break hands on blows it away..not saying its a bad thing its just like this forum ..take it as you wish for information only!...remember its people like us that make them study's and reports and get posted 1-10 years later. lol

and I said this was my opinion...just like anyone else's...
I did have a A99 though that the rings needed to be 1 up 1 down for a nice reading ..but that was a A99 solarcon :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.