• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info on the TR-696FD-1 ???

B

BOOTY MONSTER

so sparky has this radio for a C note tuned and aligned . (how does he do it ?????) . ive found its very very easy to add channels .
Ranger TR-696FD1
doing the 10kc mod looks like something id avoid as well as the open clarifier . may ask sparky about the cost to do that clarifier though . seems to use the same mother board as the galaxy 959 , a great radio in its own right .

anyhow some questions ....
what kind of swing can be expected from this after sparky does his regular job on it ?
does the frequency display show the extra channels once the mod is done ?
will the adjustable talk back feature of the 2018 xtreme mic work correctly with this radio ?
are there any different face plate replacements ? seems i recall a rebel flag version somewhere .
im gonna be new to ssb . is an open clarifier a good thing ? it appears to be .
does this radio use MOSFET's ?

thanks for the input folks .

Last edited by a moderator:

The clarifier unlocked if the radio is properly aligned is a useful thing on ssb. I'm going to speculate that these radios are not the newest ones with the mosfet finals (I've been wrong before :glare:) and if I'm right, I'd say no more than 25w peak output...safer even to estimate 20-22. Still a great deal on a nice little mobile...and yes, it is the same basic board as the 959.
regards,
preacherman

I had one of those radios, it was a talker. I do all my own work, modded it for extra channels, tuned it up, and did my custom clarifier mod so it would slide more than 10 kc down, so I wouldn't need the 10kc switch mod done to it. Mine was the final version, but the newer ones they made had mosfets in it.

The frequency counter WILL display the extra channels correctly.
The radio will do about 25W or so PEP on SSB if it's the final version.
Mosfet versions will do closer to 30W PEP on SSB.
Do not have the modulation limiter removed. I believe it's Q39 in this radio. Removing the limiter can cause the SSB to distort and sound nasty, plus you'll splatter on AM. These radios talk great with just a standard peak and tune.
I am unsure about the talkback feature on your mic, I always used an Astatic 636L noise-cancelling mic on the one I had.
If you have any questions about mods on this radio, shoot me a PM. I'd be glad to help you out.

-Exit

I would not get it from sparky!!! He has sent out some bad radios lately.Mine being one of them!!! And another guy just got the newer 2970dx 200 watt model and it is off frequency just like mine!!!

So did you take your issues up with Sparky or ar you just blasting him without giving him a chance to fix it? Ive dealt with him and never had a problem. He has a lot of happy customers so he must be doing something right

Undertaker has been offered an open hand from AL (sparky) on more than one occasion to solve any issue he has. He has been blasting Al with no proof or good reason for doing so. Sparky's reputation speaks for itself, and this foolishness is to no end. Simply put Undertaker.... You have been offered the means to air your issues to AL. Take it up with him, or shut up. Any issue with bad radios was not by Al's hand if it was so. He is pretty much one of the best around.

Last edited:
I hope there is a one of these radios left when I call in Monday. It isn't capable for a full-range of extra freqs - at least of what I am aware of - but sure would be a great back up radio. For which I do not have. I like the fact that it is a talker, decent SSB, and has the freq counter. I know that the freq conversion for this is a cakewalk; but Sparky's going to do that for the price. I wonder how much he charges to get the clarifier unlocked to slide 10kc? From what I can tell, he is going to align and peak the modulation; didn't leave much of a clue as to the xtra freqs. For that much money, I wouldn't expect it. Is it easy to unlock the clarifier, or should I ask him to do that before the radio is aligned and peaked for mod? Seems like the way to go...

Last edited:
Both Sparky and that new custom cb radio place have the same deal going. I think that guy used to or still does work for Sparky. I would buy from Sparky with no problem.

To be VERY clear. Doug used to work for Sparky and no longer does. All mods to this radio are very easy, and can be done in a few minutes. It is a great radio at original price, and an insane deal at this price. The clarifier is done by removing 2 jumpers and adding a wire. I have all mod info, and links if anyone would like them. Just PM.

Sparky offered to look over Bobby's radio three weeks ago, it's in print on the message board over at Sparky's. Exactly what more do you want him to do I think you can certainly handle this better than a trash fiesta on other boards.. Get a grip man seriously..

Last edited:
Yeah well now i am unemployed I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO SEND IT BACK!!!So If you dont like what i have to say You can both get a grip!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, but kindly do not blame others for your misfortune. The offer was made, it is not Sparky's fault if you can not get it there. The constant flaming will get you no where, and is a bit ridiculous. He would be more than happy to remedy the situation if the issue was on his end. If the radio does not get there it is not his fault and warrants none of this slander.

i must echo everything said here about sparkys.got a general lee from him and my kid got a stryker .both top notch radios.another friend bought a general as well.he has a good rep.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.