• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info on the TR-696FD-1 ???

I usually hard-wire the ANF on, and use that pull switch on the mic gain control to turn the roger beep off and on.

Yes, this radio has the roger beep circuit intact, just 2 wires installed in the correct spot with a switch can turn it off and on. (y)

I have one on the way myself. I'm going to be doing some experimenting on it, and if people want me to do so, I'll post all my modifications on another thread for everyone to see and use. I have a nice mods page hand-written up in my file cabinet on this radio.

-Exit

I have yet to find a link. This was a natural find due to it being the same board as a 959. All of the same components are there, just minus the switch. This switch would be placed on plug J10 on the 959. Found this during my mod trips on several of these radios( including the base model). The tone mod for the roger beep is the same as the tone mod for the Galaxy 959 and can be found at Cb tricks.

Isn't there a guy on eBay that sells these final mod kits for $25? Complete with two finals, a driver, and a replacement/tuning cap I think. I don't think it's the '69's. I'm gonna go look and post the link if it checks out OK.
BTW- Is there just a jumper point on the FD-! that I only need to plug a SPST switch to make it work? That's all? No other mod?
Gonna go check it out now too.
Thanks for the info, guys...

Rob, if you mean the roger beep.. yes. If you are looking at the component side of the board from the front..... in the front right area there is an empty plug labeled J10. It is a 2 prong that has nothing in it. The points are RB, and 8V, or 8 volts. Adding a spst to this set of pins will enable the beep.

That's great! I looked it up on CB Tricks and found the jumper.
Too Cool!
Say, what about the talkback ability of the 959? DO you know this mod - or will it take fine adjusting after a mod to get it right? Doesn't that mod use a DPST switch between to existing jumper points on the board - or do I disconnect the ANL pot and use it for the talkback between those two jumpers? It's a bit confusing at this point...
Thanks again for the help!
Galaxy Radios DX959 Service Manual

I have my radio hooked up to an external speaker and today I noticed that when I turn the radio on it transmits a faint beep. I changed channels and turned it off and back on and sure enough it's transmitting a beep on power up. I don't have talkback or the roger beep mod. has anyone else noticed this? It's more like a repeating tone that seems to coincide with the freq. counter when you turn on the power without turning the volume up at all.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.