• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Install in subaru outback

Ds650rida

Evil Twin
Jan 31, 2014
This is my first post on here, so I'd like to introduce myself and my current setup.

I am now just getting a fire lit to get back into cb's. I'm 25 and live in staten island, NY but originally from the Pine Barrens in South Jersey. I first started using them when I dusted off my dad's old navaho trc-35 back in grade school. With nothing but a coat hanger hanging out the back of the radio I was able to pick up some enthusiasts about 1/2 a mile away. One guy gave me an old 5' whip he had to use instead of a coat hanger and I used to talk to him and his friends on weeknights.

A few years ago I had been working for a place that auctioned off repo and lease cars and had found a bag filled with a cobra 29 ltd st, a barjan talkback speaker, an amp, and just about everything needed to hook it up. For one reason or another I never got around to it and the radio sat in my room.

I had always played around with walkie talkies, shortwave radio, and scanners in the past years. So a few weeks ago my dad wanted to throw away that old navaho and I insisted against it. My friend who had always shared this 'frequency geek' interest with me now has his own place so I took it there and we hooked it up to his aluminum awning with some 12 gauge wire. At the moment we heard the faintest sound of somone talking through the rediculous static, the bug caught us again.

So I dusted off that old cobra 29 and threw that whip on a scanner antenna base I had and tried it out. I could hardly get anything so I started doing research and last week ended up purchasing a uniden pro510xl and a wilson lil wil to throw on my car.

My car is pretty nice and I like to keep it tidy so I couldnt have a bunch of wires sitting on my passenger seat. So I took half of my car apart and cut out the back of my din pocket under my radio and made the cb fit perfectly. Ran the coax under the carpet.

As soon as I was finished tuning in the snow storm I was able to hear skip from North Dakota. I was very impressed. On my way back up to Staten Island this past sunday, I was able to get out and receive very clear about 4-5 miles away.

My swr's are around 1.6 so this weekend im going to hard wire the radio to the accessory plug and try a spring under the antenna as it isnt exactly 2/3 above the roof line. I'm very happy and impressed with my new setup after spending under $100.

Here is a pic of the car
uploadfromtaptalk1391200630368.jpg

And one of the radio installed.
uploadfromtaptalk1391200646398.jpg

Im eager to learn more on these forums and hope to get some good info out of them. Would also like to try and make some contacts through this site. There arent too many people in my generation who find this stuff as fascinating as I do.

If you're ever on the NJ turnpike or in the south jersey or nyc area my handle is Evil Twin.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

Welcome to the forum! Cool install... nice and clean. I ran a 510 and a Lil' Will for several years in my old Mustang. It worked great, then moved to the 520. Still worked great! Glad you're getting back into radio, and I hear those Subaru's are unbeatable in bad weather.

RT307

Thanks for the kind words. Turns out my plan for a spring has been foiled because the lil wil doesn't have a base that unscrews. The car is great in the snow. I am able to go about 30-40 on unplowed roads with basic bridgestone m+s tires. Also has a heated windshield/seats/mirrors which make it a real joy in the cold. Just wish the sedans came in a 5 speed.

Drill the roof and install a Wilson 1000 or 5000. I have a 97 OBW for a daily driver with a PC76, TS 350HDV, and a hard mounted 5000...been that way since I bought the car in 2006. I have no regrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Nah I would never drill the roof. If anything I would get a trunk lip mount.

Trunk mount or maybe one of the hood/fender mounts and a Wilson base load. The double din slot has a few radios that can fit in there. The Uniden BearCats are single din sized, a few exports, and that 29 should fit also. Digging the Scooby. I've never seen an Outback with a trunk.

I originally wanted a bearcat but im happy with the 510, it was inexpensive and basic.

The outback sedans are fairly hard to come by. It took a few months of searching to find my car.

Trunk mounts aren't that bad especially if you put bonding straps across the hinges. They're certainly better than bumper mounts.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a ground strap going from the body to the trunk although I don't believe the trunk is isolated anyway.

When I'm ready for a new antenna I will probably end up getting one thats center loaded and use a trunk lip mount. I'm pleased with the magnet on the trunk now.

I checked my swr's on sunday and theyre at 1.8 on 1 and 40. I suppose thats the best I'm gonna get given the setup and antenna placement.

Install in subaru outbacm

Have you moved the antenna whip around up or down to see if there is any difference in swr, and if so what was it? Just curious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.