• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Install on a 03 Freightliner

MiChWi3

Sep 25, 2013
I am a newbie, just got a Uniden pc76xl and want to install it in the 03 Freightliner. No power cord came with radio and the factory antenna has been torn off the truck from low hanging tree limbs. Ordered a power cable and a Firestik 48". Is all this gonna come together well. The pigtail in the truck for power is still labeled from the factory. Do I just splice into that and use the factory coax for new antenna? HELP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

Make SURE that you get the power +/- phased right first - before you even turn on the radio.

If you took pictures of the antenna coax connector and the mount, it would help a bunch - eh?

Check for powr:Take a test light or even an old tailight bulb with two wires solder to it and test to see which wire is hot(red) and ground (black).
Don't believe in labels, like Rob said if you hook it up backwards and turn the radio on it will pop the polarity diode inside the radio.

Power cord: Go to any truck stop/cb shop and get the right power cord for it, solder and shrink wrap any connections. electrical tape won't last in the cab, it gets hot and the glue comes apart.

Good coax: Get some good 8x, clear or gray it doesn't matter, see if you can find the kind with the soldered on ends(pl259's) versus the crimped on ones. The factory stuff that they run thru the trucks is junk.

Check and set swr: You can go two ways here, get a small swr meter, radio shack and workman make them for about $25 dollars and a 3 foot jumper. There is plenty of info on how to set/tune your antenna.
Or if you have a trusted cb shop you can stop by and have them set it up.
I would buy the meter that way you have it and if you ever suspect a problem you can test you system.
This is the most important step and oftened overlooked,The Mount, it's not about looking cool, you want the tip of the antenna near the top of the air shield or trailer. You see guys buy antennas that are to long or the mount on the truck is to low, yeah it will work, but the signal if reflecting off the side of the truck, look at other trucks like yours or online to find a mount that will do it.

This will get you talking, hope this helped.

Great info, Thanks!
Gots some pics of the mount and coax in cab, just don't know how to load em...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

Check for powr:Take a test light or even an old tailight bulb with two wires solder to it and test to see which wire is hot(red) and ground (black).
Don't believe in labels, like Rob said if you hook it up backwards and turn the radio on it will pop the polarity diode inside the radio.

Power cord: Go to any truck stop/cb shop and get the right power cord for it, solder and shrink wrap any connections. electrical tape won't last in the cab, it gets hot and the glue comes apart.

Good coax: Get some good 8x, clear or gray it doesn't matter, see if you can find the kind with the soldered on ends(pl259's) versus the crimped on ones. The factory stuff that they run thru the trucks is junk.

Check and set swr: You can go two ways here, get a small swr meter, radio shack and workman make them for about $25 dollars and a 3 foot jumper. There is plenty of info on how to set/tune your antenna.
Or if you have a trusted cb shop you can stop by and have them set it up.
I would buy the meter that way you have it and if you ever suspect a problem you can test you system.
This is the most important step and oftened overlooked,The Mount, it's not about looking cool, you want the tip of the antenna near the top of the air shield or trailer. You see guys buy antennas that are to long or the mount on the truck is to low, yeah it will work, but the signal if reflecting off the side of the truck, look at other trucks like yours or online to find a mount that will do it.

This will get you talking, hope this helped.

Just now figured out how to get reply/attention to a thread... Pardon me, I'm a newbie!!!
Please refer to previous posts.
Since posting last time I installed radio and proceeded to test using the built in SWR meter on the radio at the bequest of a coworker with "knowledge". In doing so I fried the secondary on the radio b/c it was dual antenna setup which I didn't realize... HELP!!!

MiChWi3

Just now figured out how to get reply/attention to a thread... Pardon me, I'm a newbie!!!
Please refer to previous posts.
Since posting last time I installed radio and proceeded to test using the built in SWR meter on the radio at the bequest of a coworker with "knowledge". In doing so I fried the secondary on the radio b/c it was dual antenna setup which I didn't realize... HELP!!!

MiChWi3

ezerenu7.jpg

Thats the mount inside. uploadfromtaptalk1395007153451.jpg
That was the mount outside.

MiChWi3

CHOOSING SINGLE OR CO-PHASE ANTENNA SYSTEM

SWR

Sorry to hear about the radio. Sounds like it fried the final output transistor if I understood you right.

If the SWR is corrected with your antennas, co-phased ('dual') antennas can be cool. But there must be a local trucker that can iron out your radio problems that can teach you what you need to know too. We will help you all we can from this end. Just ask.

CHOOSING SINGLE OR CO-PHASE ANTENNA SYSTEM

SWR

Sorry to hear about the radio. Sounds like it fried the final output transistor if I understood you right.

If the SWR is corrected with your antennas, co-phased ('dual') antennas can be cool. But there must be a local trucker that can iron out your radio problems that can teach you what you need to know too. We will help you all we can from this end. Just ask.

Thanks Robb...
Gotta find a shop that can service this radio first.
In the meantime, I left the antenna hooked up to truck and someone stole it!! It was a 4' Firestik. So I replaced with a 3' (the 4'er kept clipping low hanging limbs). Have yet to put on the truck though. Gonna go with an aftermarket mirror mount. And I got 12' of coax to weave in there AND an SWR meter to get right...

MiChWi3

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.