• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting idea!

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I was going through some -old- magazines and ran across an article about a loop antenna on a mobile. It was for 10 meters but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for 11 meters. Kind of 'odd' looking but if it works...

It used two 102" whips, one shorted to the vehicle body, a wire between the tips of both whips, and the distance between the two whips making up the rest of the full wave loop. Adjusting the length of that 'tip' wire and the distance between whips would tend to 'bow' the whips toward each other (keeping tension on that wire) and by adjusting the distance between mounting points of the whips you make up for the 'shortened' 'tip' wire. Since the vehicle body is insulated from ground by the wheels, there's no 'short' to ground. Same two connections from the radio, the 'hot' whip and vehicle ground. The input impedance won't be 50 ohms, but ought'a be manageable.
Interesting idea!
- 'Doc

(am I gonna try it? I sort of doubt it but if someone else does, I'd like to hear about it!)

Guess I should have said they were spaced about a 1/4 wave apart, just figured people would know that. If 12 feet between mounted whips, just adjust the 'tip' wire for a full wave length.
- 'Doc

- What about a simple 1/2 wave 'HALO' like the 10m M^2? Would be about 5' square, and should fit nicely above the roof of most vehicle's and offer an horizontal & 'somewhat omni' pattern.

Supposedly has a little gain over a 1/2 wave dipole in the direction of the feed point.

2 of them, 5/8 wave apart, one above the other, offers about 6dBi gain with a nice low take-off angle. They work well on the 2m band, and on 10m / 11m should make a nice performing horizontal 'Omni'. They would need to be phased using a 1/4 and a 3/4 wave 75ohm phasing harness, taking into consideration the velocity factor of the coax of course.

Seventy trees

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.