• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting W9WDX Repeater problem

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Today I resolved an interesting problem with the D-Star repeater that was severely affecting its performance. Fairly often, the MoenComm GMSK modem would lock up or reboot while you were using the repeater, although this never seemed to happen while it was just transmitting from reflector. Transmissions heard via RF from the repeater were becoming more and more garbled, as well.

Initially I thought the problem was caused by RFI and spent a few hours down that path troubleshooting. In the end, the problem was a passive USB hub that the GMSK modem was plugged into. For whatever reason, the GMSK board didn't like it, and when I plugged it directly into the PC, everything started working properly again. I suspect that the current draw required was just a bit greater than what the passive hub could supply.

Lesson learned!

Whats been recommended is a powered USB hub with a 5v 3a power rating. I just picked one up and it powers the Pi, and GMSK with no problems.
I just put a TKR-820 online and took the GM-300's offline. The performance is slightly better but it doesnt get near as hot as the 300's even with a computer fan blowing on them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.