• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

inverterd v the way i did it

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
THE INVERTED V

hi all id like to share this for new users to cb or new users to dipoles here she goes

i run a lmr400 coax has very little loss and it runs to an inverted v dipole up 30 to 35 ft on a mast..... i had problems like the feed line touching the metal possibly causeing an issue...... so to solve this i looked everywhere and found taking pvc pipe with joiners all the way up with cable runing thru helped a bunch... but then my swr was the same about 1.7 to 1.9 on most channels...
so i called a buddie up asked how can i fix this..... he stated put 2 1 -inch clip on ferrites at the top by the feed point of the antenna then at the bottom of the mast use the (NON METAL) old paint bucket trick.... wraped 5 turns around it ran it in to radio room hooked up the dosy and BAM swr was CH1 1.1 CH40 1.3.... everyone i talk to says im crystal clear no rf static make contacts 40 miles plus on a bearfoot bearcat980 in AM mode...... being here in greenwood SC and with pager towers every freakin where making it tough and all i ever heard was static at nightsunless during the day when skip was active untill i did this.... so after 2 weeks of fusing cuting changing connectors etc nohting chaged and was confused scracching my head..... after i did this im loud and proud just my 2 cents worth maybe some one will read this and it will help them get the radio to where they would like it then again conditions height elevations are main factors

hope this helps some one

also i ran the dipole horizontal witch did the same but locals couldnt hear me and i couldnt hear them unless they were real close like a mile but with it in the inverted form i could take that in to mind as well

my design was copyed from this guys antenna design here video how to make jsut remember to cut the wire to the 11m (CB) bandFeed-point Connector for Inverted V Dipole Antenna - YouTube

The difference you are seeing, sort of high SWR is something that can be fixed with normal tuning of any antenna, that inverted 'V' included. Narrowing the angle between those legs will drop SWR to quite an extent. That's one of the reasons why there are inverted 'V's. Don't expect a 1:1, anything around 1.5:1 is as good as anything lower.
Will using ferrite 'beads' or a choke lower SWR? Not unless you have other problems, their only legitimate use is in reducing the amount of CMCs on the outside of the coax. They don't do anything to what's going on inside that coax. If you thing you really do need to do something about CMCs then it typically takes lots of those ferrite beads, not just two or three. As for a choke, nothing wrong with more than one of them. One near the feed point and another at ground level or the entrance to the house isn't uncommon at all.
If it's working, don't mess with it...
- 'Doc

1:1 current balun at the fed point, distributes equal current to both legs of the dipole, and helps in prevent CMC on the shield of the coax.

Or an ugly balun AKA Rf choke at the feed point works well also, it does not ensure equal current distribution on the half wave dipole but it does help prevent CMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
i live near a BIG industrial zone 6 huge plants to be exact many pagers towers signals from equipment not to mention
my antennas are 500ft or less from 6 phase high voltage power lines but like you said if it works dont mess with it :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.