• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IRLP and the VX-8R (Exiting DTMF)

dmarotti

Jun 28, 2009
On a different forum (that I don't belong to) someone asked how to access IRLP using the VX-8R. Below is the response that was given. I tried this and it didn't appear to work. My question is: A. does this sound correct? and B. how do you exit DTMF? I can't find the # key; with or without the Function key...

(Post)
Find an IRLP or EchoLink repeater near you.
Simply use the DTMF feature of your radio to “dial” your target IRLP or EchoLink node.
When finished, close the connection with ## on the DTMF pad.

My goal is to use a local IRLP repeater to access IRLP nodes in different countries without the cost of HF.

David

I can't say one way or the other if the sequence is correct.

Check page 114 of the manual on DTFM tones.

IF PTT is pressed then the key pad becomes your tone select like the pad on your telephone for dialing a number. The # key is the V/M key. Not really a mode you enter or exit more like a context sensitive help screen. What you get is where you are. :)

Mike

I've used it with IRLP. You just hold the PTT and then the keypad becomes the DTMF "dialer". When you're done dialing, let up on the PTT. To close the connection, repeat the process, but "dial" ##. Pretty simple. You can also program the Internet button to store IRLP or Echolink node memories. To do that, change the Internet Mode (menu 44) to FRG (friendly radio group?) and then follow the instructions on how to program memories. If you can't figure it out, let us know and we'll help you out.

Thank you both for the reply.

Mole, I'm doing exactly what you said, but I'm not getting any confirmation tone. I'm still very green at this, but I thought after the node number gets entered, I am supposed to get a confirmation by the IRLP. Can you give me an example frequency and node I could try - one that you know works? Thus far, I've tried about 6 of the most local frequencies to Maywood, NJ, 07607, and I can't get anyone to respond to me. So I still must be doing something wrong. Can I use any node number of one of these frequencies, or only the one listed next to the frequency on the IRLP website?

Well, I can't tell you an IRLP repeater I've used in NJ, because I've never operated form there :) :).

Here's how the IRLP repeater closest to me works:

1. Transmit: # # then the IRLP node number...the node of this repeater is 3686
2. Wait for the connect confirmation, 10-30sec.
3. Key up Transmitter, PAUSE 2 sec. before talking in to mic.
4. When your done with the QSO Key up your radio, Send DTMF Code: 73 to drop the link

That's it. Hope it helps...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.