• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is a dipole required for a scanner?

If you like to "tinker" why not make a simple 1/4 wave vertical out of a (AW, I just forgot the designator for the connector)...but it's the base version of the PL-259---the part you coax screws into:sad:! Can't think of the number right now. DRAT! Anyway, take that MALE connector and a flat piece of aluminum and drill a hole that will fit it. Turn it upside down and secure the connector to it, either with 4 little screws OR with a half-nut leaving enough room for your coax to screw onto it from the bottom. Take an old CB whip and cut it to about 20" (so you can prune it if you are "persnickety" OR leave it at that length since a scanner receiver is not that critical as transmitting. Solder this whip into the center from the back (opposite to where the cable screws on) Now either drill 3 or 4 little holes for your radials IN the aluminum bracket or use the 4 little holes on the connector.
Cut 3-4 more little 20" wires (you can even use hanger wires and paint them so they won't rust on you). Attach this bracket/antenna to a pole, tower, or chimney and VOILA! Works better if you "droop" your radials, but not really critical for receiving. You got yerself a reasonable scanner antenna! Paint all "rust-prone parts. I've made bunches of these.

CWM

Very interesting...I have multiple "tweeked" Wilson antenna whips that I could use for such a project!

Thanks for the idea!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.