• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is my tube soft..... very funny .... the AMP tube....

Oh I wouldn't think cleaning out the inside of the amp a bit and swapping a tube would qualify me as any kind of repair person whatsoever lol. Old tube had a chrome effect on the lower 1/4 of glass like the old 6LQ6s etc used to do.
No markings left on the tube. Looks like Eimac style but no silk screen anywhere left on it. It still works but probably is at about 70%. I'll keep it as an emergency spare.
20240425_165905.jpg
20240425_165808.jpg
20240425_165813.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BJ radionut
I did notice one thing, other than extremely dirty inside of this amp which I did clean up some.... I do not think my tank coil, that is my tank coil right, is supposed to look like this? And is there any way to clean it without harming it to remove whatever that is ...oxidation, scorching, whatever it is? Figured you experts will know vs me mangling a presently working great amp!

20240425_171309.jpg

I did notice one thing, other than extremely dirty inside of this amp which I did clean up some.... I do not think my tank coil, that is my tank coil right, is supposed to look like this? And is there any way to clean it without harming it to remove whatever that is ...oxidation, scorching, whatever it is? Figured you experts will know vs me mangling a presently working great amp!

View attachment 68532
The coil was red hot at some point. The silver plating is oxidized, I would leave it alone.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
Ah. I purchased it used dont know much about its history. Thanks for the direction Lid. I will leave well enough alone.

Yes I was just thinking about that. Sad to see them go. I just sent them an inquiry on the tank coil.

Last edited:
Yes I was just thinking about that. Sad to see them go. I just sent them an inquiry on the tank coil.
He is actively trying to sell the company. I think Ameritron and Hy-Gain would be of interest to someone, but one never knows if it will happen. I am going to order parts for some antennas and my Ameritron junk that they screwed up, before I can't.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
Oh on the anode? No its one of those old dark brown bakealite things...

LOL That IS the parasitic suppressor. It consists of a carbon resistor somewhere around 40-60 ohms and the coil shunting it. Easy to check. Lift the anode cap and remove one end of the coil from the resistor to measure the resistor.

I know I was answering Lids comment about it looking cooked its just very dark brown lol.
I have a brand new one to swap in some day but as I just took a direct hit from a tornado I'm not too worried about the amp atm lol
Screenshot_20240426_185604_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.