• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this a deal?

4600turbo

Aug 27, 2006
I'm buying a Icom-735 with a dx250 tube type linear and a Astron 20 amp power supply for $475.00.

Now it turns out the the radio needed some repair and it cost about $150.00 to repair. Now the cost is $535.00.

I told him to keep the Astron 20 amp power supply since I don't need it, so I can keep the price of the radio down.

Is the Icom-735 and the dx 250 worth the $475.00. I've seen the Icom-735 for $300.00 one e-bay, but I'm not sure what the dx 250 tube linear is worth.

Is this still a good deal at $535.00?

It depends on several things, one of them being personal preference. Since my personal preferences don't sort of lean toward Icom, you might want to consider that too. Having said that, then it wouldn't be much of a 'good' deal to me.
If any of the items for sale need work, it ain't a good deal, especially if the item isn't fairly 'new', meaning parts are easy to find. I have lots of 'doubts' about buying a modified radio. Biggest question is what else has been modified, and is that modification the reason it's not working?
Never heard of a 'DX-250', know nothing about them. If the name is any kind of guide to it's output, then why bother, the '735 is a 100 watt radio to start with (25 on AM, maybe). And what shape are the tubes in?
Why turn down the Astron? At least, if it worked, you might make up for the radio not working, sell it, defray costs a little bit. Maybe.
What would it be worth to me? Original price, including the power supply and anything else that was originally offered for that price. MINUS the estimated cost of repairs. So, something around $325, maybe. Big maybe, there.
Sounds like whoever is selling the thing is trying to get out from under a bad decision and 'sweetening' the pot as much as possible. Nothing wrong with that, but if I didn't have a particular reason for wanting what was offered, it ain't a good deal.
- 'Doc

PS - That 20 amp power supply would be marginal for a '735 anyway.

No!!! It is not a good deal. I spend a good bit of time researching used rigs and there worth. I would say that radio in good shape(not needing repair) is about $375 The amp in good shape, about $175. I know that adds up to more than your paying but here me out. At the time, the 735 was icoms low end rig. It is so very bare bones, it is almost worthless. and your limited to HF only. For $550 you could get a used ft857 or ft100/d or icom 706! All those rigs blow that 735 away! If you want a base station then look at the yeasu 757gx with built in tuner! And if you dont mind tubes get a ft101 or kenwood 850s or even an ft 400dx with almost 250watts output on side band. And if you plan on talking AM, which Im sure you will, you cant beat tubes!! Also, all those tube rigs i just mentioned have built in power supplies and plug straight into the wall. So it ends up having less of a foot print then the ps 735 combo. Get on ebay and type in HF and narrow the search to cb/ham items and sort by price, then just go to the price range your looking for. You would be amazed at some of the deals there are on older rigs! Another good site is QTH.com! I have bought all knids of stuff from hams there and never had a problem. Keep searching, you can def do better!

No not a deal. HRO has in there used section an icom-718 @ $450 a kenwood ts-430 with manaul original box and matching PS-30 power supply for $450 and also a kenwood ts-450 HF Compact with Tuner and all filter combinations @$599
Thats just one Ham store and i didn't list all there used gear,keep looking around as i feel you can do much better.

I hate to say it , but I bought the deal. I did got the whole package radio,amp and the power supply.

I got the Icom-735 after it was repaired and the tube amp is being repaired also and the Astron 20amp power supply for $425.00.

The tube amp does about 150watts pep. Not really useable with the Icom, but can be used with my Galaxy 959.

so If the Icom is worth about $375. as stated and the amp about $175. and the power supply at least $100. Then the total is $650.

Looks like a deal to me.

I'm really only intersted in 10 thru 160 meters. So this radio is a fit for me. I seen it work on the guys bench, and since he's fimilar with the radio he was able to so me all the features and I got to listen to some dx.

I know the radio is 20 years old but It's in great shape now, and it still looks new. The amp is being made like new. I think I'm going to be happy with this deal, although it's not as good as I once thought it was.

I've got a Astron RM-60M I think that will work fine for the Icom-735. I did try it on the astron 20
and it seem to be starving for power. I haven't hooked it up on the larger power supply yet.

Thanks for replys. Hopefully the $425.00 price tag for all the above is worth it now.

Repaired radio like new now. the amp will be like new. and the power supply.

Last edited:
i personally like icom. i have a 735, 706mk2g & 746pro. have had a 745, 751a, 551, 551d, 706, & maybe 1 or 2 others. i kept the 735 because i feel it is a real nice, easy to operate, fairly 'functional' radio. i should have kept the 751a, but keeping the 735 was by no means a mistake. i find myself using it more then the mk2g due to ease of operation & i think at times it is actually a 'less noisy' radio'. i think you made out like a bandit for the package for 425, and could probably recoup all your investment and another 150+ if you sold the pieces separately. remember, one person's junk is anothers treasure.....if YOU'RE happy, that's what counts!

I'm buying a Icom-735 with a dx250 tube type linear and a Astron 20 amp power supply for $475.00.

Now it turns out the the radio needed some repair and it cost about $150.00 to repair. Now the cost is $535.00.

I told him to keep the Astron 20 amp power supply since I don't need it, so I can keep the price of the radio down.

Is the Icom-735 and the dx 250 worth the $475.00. I've seen the Icom-735 for $300.00 one e-bay, but I'm not sure what the dx 250 tube linear is worth.

Is this still a good deal at $535.00?

OK $425 isnt such a bad deal for all of the equipment you described. But when first asked i thought you paying $475 plus $150 for repairs which is $625? So i'm confused..............anyway as long as your happy,enjoy your new rig.

Last edited:
I can personally state for a fact that contrary to what dxhound said about comparing the FT-857 and the IC-735 the 735 IS the better rig as far as performance goes.I owned a 735 and sold it to buy the FT-857. Big mistake.Sure the 857 covers 6m,2m, and 70cm but it also has a much poorer receiver than the Icom.The Icom 735 has a nearly bullet proof front end and will handle strong adjacent freq signals much better than the yaesu will.When you are talking adjacent freq QRM the audio DSP is usless.The Icom 735 will not heat up nearly as much and will work into a higher SWR before reducing the power output as well.The problem with thw 857 is that when the SWR goes higher than 1.5:1 the audio peaks on SSB are clipped and it has a noticable effect on your signal.The AM audio is better on the Icom as well but do not exceed more than 40 watts of carrier. Don't regret buying that radio.Treat it with the realisation that it is not the newest and greatest and it will give you many years of good service.I wish I had never sold mine. Wanna sell it? JK my radio money for this year and next has already been spent on other things.

Thanks QRN. I like the radio even though it's not the latest and greatest. It's perfect fit for someone that is just starting out I think. I was just worried that I was being taken on the price. The radio was repaired and the amp is being repaired the 20 amp power supply works. I don't need the power supply and I've got it sold already. The guy that fixed it really likes the radio and showed me pretty much how to set it. So far I've only used it once on 11 meter just to see if it worked.
I've got to wait till I get my lic. and a antenna that would work with this radio. Any suggestion on a inexpensive antenna for this rig. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.