• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this a "virgin" President Jackson,and what to do?

Grant Jackson

Oct 31, 2015
Hello friends.

I just bought my first ever President Jackson. I would say this has been in the making for around 20 years,but got married and children first.

It looks and feels like unused/new . Only missing the original box,but its said to be a display model from a cb shop. And also said to follow french rules when it comes to watt. (4w am/fm,not sure what it means for ssb) .
For the moment I dont have a power meter,but it does not drain much from my psu. On am/fm around 4 ampere. On Ssb at peak its still under 8 ampere.

All knobs and switches does exactly what they are suppose to do.
IMAG0124.jpg IMAG0125.jpg IMAG0127.jpg IMAG0129.jpg I would post power readings as soon as it gets in my mail.

Regards from Norway.

Hard to tell, but it appears unmolested. Won't know if SSB power is up from 12 watts but if am/Fm is 4 watts I doubt it. They are an older rsdio and a having the radio tuned, aligned and all recapped would be a good idea. Send to a reputable tech. If you really want the radio to remain stock, then a good freq counter and swr watt meter would be a good idea. I think the clarifier is open on those radios. It's been so long. If you ans to keep the radio for a long time, really send it to a good tech somewhere. Exit13 is good with those radios, but shipping might be a lot. I'm sure it's not cheap to ship to USA. But at any rate even if you know a good tech closer to you that has proper equipment and knows how to work on them and it's cheaper for you, send it there by all means. There are other techs I could recommend, Exit13 really likes the president radios, the older ones that is like what you have, and will be of much help I'm sure!! Anyway, JMO. Have a great day.

Reactions: Grant Jackson
Hi again there 222DBFL.

Thanks for the tech advice. I might just pick you up on that. Need to calculate prices and so on,but I was planing for it to get a check up at some point.
I dont know of anyone around here,or even in Norway so I probably would need to send it somewhere.

I want it as good as a Jackson can be,so I guess am willing to use some cash on it to get there.

Could be wrong but if you look at pic 3, the white tube sticking out in front of the right final should have a slug or core in it just like the one in front of the left final. Either way pretty clean looking radio.

Could be wrong but if you look at pic 3, the white tube sticking out in front of the right final should have a slug or core in it just like the one in front of the left final. Either way pretty clean looking radio.

Hm.. Thats true. I should take a closer look at that. Thanks

That is an unmolested President "Black Face" Jackson. That's quite a find there! I had the earlier version of that radio, the "Grey Face" Jackson. Both are the same basic board, just a different revision level. They are not a big swinging radio on AM, but FM is clear, and SSB is outstanding. The only thing that it will need besides a good tune and a re-cap is a mod in the AGC circuit, that fixes a problem with it distorting receive audio when talking to close stations above S9.

~Cheers~

That is an unmolested President "Black Face" Jackson. That's quite a find there! I had the earlier version of that radio, the "Grey Face" Jackson. Both are the same basic board, just a different revision level. They are not a big swinging radio on AM, but FM is clear, and SSB is outstanding. The only thing that it will need besides a good tune and a re-cap is a mod in the AGC circuit, that fixes a problem with it distorting receive audio when talking to close stations above S9.

~Cheers~

Thanks so much there ExitThirteen.
I want to send it for a service and tuneup,just need to find the person that has the time.

Regards.

Maybe DTB radio, doc electronics (The Doc Of New York), Dougs Custom CB shop, Key Radio. These are a few that I am pretty sure are good techs. DTB Radio, and Doug's Custom CB Shop, are 2 I know of myself and have seen many posts about DTB radio here and on other forums as well. I'm sure others will chime in with some other techs that aren't Golden Screwdriver types!!

Reactions: Grant Jackson
Maybe DTB radio, doc electronics (The Doc Of New York), Dougs Custom CB shop, Key Radio. These are a few that I am pretty sure are good techs. DTB Radio, and Doug's Custom CB Shop, are 2 I know of myself and have seen many posts about DTB radio here and on other forums as well. I'm sure others will chime in with some other techs that aren't Golden Screwdriver types!!

Thanks 222DBFL.
In another post you mentioned Exit13 ,is that ExitThirteen here on the forum?

Yes. But through a PM I was told work is just too much right now for any radio work. He will help as much as possible here but isn't accepting any radios for mods or repairs at the time. DTB radio or Dougs custom CB shop will do you right as well. Both good techs IMO as well.

Yes. But through a PM I was told work is just too much right now for any radio work. He will help as much as possible here but isn't accepting any radios for mods or repairs at the time. DTB radio or Dougs custom CB shop will do you right as well. Both good techs IMO as well.

Okay.
Thanks for the advices. Am in no hurry to get this service done since I for the most part is using a Yaesu FT 450 AT ,but when I get around to it,and x-mas-time is in the past I would most likely use one of your suggestions.
Still hoping someone knowing of someone good in Europe as well. Even if I don`t think the shipping would be that much of a difference..but it could be.

I may be able to work on it down the road, but as of right now, my work schedule is pretty hectic, also my grandfather just had full hip replacement last week, so he requires a bit more care until he is healed up.

Perhaps in the future, if you have not had the radio worked on, and I get freed up, I can do the radio work then. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 222DBFL
I may be able to work on it down the road, but as of right now, my work schedule is pretty hectic, also my grandfather just had full hip replacement last week, so he requires a bit more care until he is healed up.

Perhaps in the future, if you have not had the radio worked on, and I get freed up, I can do the radio work then. :)

~Cheers~

Hi there ExitThirteen.
My best wishes for your grandfather and the family.
Hope the healing goes smooth.

Regards
G.J Norway

Okay.
Thanks for the advices. Am in no hurry to get this service done since I for the most part is using a Yaesu FT 450 AT ,but when I get around to it,and x-mas-time is in the past I would most likely use one of your suggestions.
Still hoping someone knowing of someone good in Europe as well. Even if I don`t think the shipping would be that much of a difference..but it could be.
Try contacting The Shack on Facebook he has a good reputation he's in the Uk

Looks good to me . I've still got my NOS 5 band black one here in it's box . The restrictions (bands/power) on them depend on the country of origin . It took me about 2 hours to rewire the band switch , do the +10khz and remove all the power restricting resistors on mine . Yours looks ok on the solder side . As previously mentioned the AGC mod is a must on the Jackson . Only Uniden know why they changed the AGC circuit on the Jackson . And there's no ferrite core in that inductor .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.