• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

isolation from mast..

several people who really know their feces about antennas (IMO) have said thats the best way to set them up multimode and that it can make a pretty good difference .

my latest question if of the durability of them . ive read of folks having them up 15 and 20 years having done nothing to it since the fist day it was put up and its still doing a fine job for them . then i hear of folks having to sand and paint/shelack/seal them every few years . depending on how its mounted that may not be too difficult and maybe its just the potiental price to pay for an antenna that seems to be about as plug-and-play as a full size base antenna can possibly be . or maybe the sanders/painters/sealers are just being picky or keep it looking pretty to keep the better half happy . do they really need maintence though ?

if you ever grab hold of one that has really been exposed to uv's, then you won't ask that question again.

i don't know about sanding them, but some sealer does go a looooooong way.

BTW: " ...I have no doubt the A99 and Imax2000 work reasonably well for a lot of people but are they working at their best? ..."

the "best"????? gee, i dunno. all antennas are compromises in one way or another.

Last edited:
BOOTY MONSTER,
Fiberglass deteriorates if exposed to weather, a lot like wood. To preserve wood, or fiberglass, when so exposed, you usually coat/paint them with something that's sort of weather proof (and in the case of an antenna, non-conductive). And metal stuff too, as far as that goes. Wouldn't hurt to take down a metal antenna periodically, clean the corrosion/oxidation from the joints, reassemble, then put everything back like it was.
Nothing lasts forever. Some things tend to last longer than others. Fiberglass tends not to be one of those longer lasting thingys without maintenance.
I tend to shy away from fiberglass if I can. Fiberglass antennas work just dandy, but they don't like me very much, make me itch/burn/cuss a lot.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.