• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ISS on 38lsb - hoax?

I would be totally on board with it being a hoax, but twice I've heard the "ISS" when there were absolutely no conditions whatsoever ! The first time, they were talking in Russian and then in English to stations I couldn't hear. And the second time I worked them briefly and had a short QSO. Both times S9 signal and NO other conditions at all. So I am on the fence at the moment. The station I worked was loud and came from somewhere when there were no conditions, which I am unable to explain.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you need to account for Doppler shift on FM to talk for more than a moment, what would it sound like on 38LSB as they go zippin' past?

It's about a 7kHz shift over a 10 minute pass.

So yea, taking into account the doppler shift (which wasn't heard and would clearly be heard on SSB), and the length of the QSO (which wouldn't happen with ionospheric bending and a stationary antenna), it's an obvious hoax.

And being the only thing you hear isn't proof it is from space. I hear single stations break the silence here all the time. Sporadic E, ducting, backscatter, etc. There are ways you can hear a single station, even if they are barefoot.

In summary....
st.gif

This is to the next jobless bum who pretends to be the ISS.

That 700Hz/minute doppler shift will be relative to the receiving station, so if more than one person puts it on youtube and we hear the pitch shift from too low to too high (or vice versa) at the same time in both videos, we will call instant BS knowing you got your hand on the VFO dial. You ain't gonna fake 17,300MPH.

The USSR had some ham satellites in the 90s, can't remember what they were called. They had 10-meter downlinks. Always wondered how a signal that frequency would penetrate from orbit down to earth, when the ionosphere reflects a signal from down here. I remember hearing sideband downlinked from the 2-meter input of those birds back in the 90s. Never tried to uplink to them.

Well....
The mystery deepens it seems.
Early this morning I got a reply back from ARISS .

"
One of our engineers looked at this. He says it's unlikely.
The social team has been told before that there are HF capabilities on the ISS but no more details than that. Sorry we can’t help further.
"
And that's it.
I read this as " we will neither confirm or deny"

Jeff

I heard them again last night with once again absolutely zero skip conditions (band was dead all day here yesterday). Only about S6 this time, and working a World Radio station (either 540 or 548). Faded out fast and only heard the one time.
Sergei said he was over the central U.S. at the time which jived with the official map on ISS website.

This is the one thing that keeps me from putting a great big "hoax" label on this, is the fact I keep hearing them when there's no skip conditions !

Reactions: snippits75
Well....
The mystery deepens it seems.
Early this morning I got a reply back from ARISS .

"
One of our engineers looked at this. He says it's unlikely.
The social team has been told before that there are HF capabilities on the ISS but no more details than that. Sorry we can’t help further.
"
And that's it.
I read this as " we will neither confirm or deny"

Jeff
So in conclusion, it is possible, but not probable while being entirely plausible, that someone might never have not transmitted on 11 meters from the ISS......

download (1).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: snippits75

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.