• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It doesn't allways take a whole lot of power!

I always try to make contact barefoot, if I am unable to reach the people I am wanting to speak with, I turn up power a bit. Nothing that interferes with anyone around me. I have set my system up to be as clean as possible. And only use it when absolutely necessary. I do like the challenge of making contacts on 12 watts on 38lsb, but I will say there have been some big strappers on lately!! I know of one out of Ohio that throws a tone every time the conditions are good to speak with the upper east coast. Makes for hard contact on my end. Anyway, if I was able to make contact with 1 watt I would, but 38lsb is normally a mad house.

Reactions: 1 person
Using RS Walkie Talkies

Your right W9 , I still have a set of big 5 watt RS walkie talkies that have crystals set up that way . Thanks for the memories an the reminder now I have to dig them out an play with them . They actually use to work well using the RS amplified mic .:D

I've got an old TRC212 and 3 of TRC 216s. Run as base or mobile, they sound excellent. I have some old Johnson desk mics, which are essentially Turner +2s. When hooking them up to the walkie talkies, I have to turn them way down, but they sound really good, as good as any base. Folks don't believe I'm talking to them on a walkie talkie.

As for power, I always run barefoot...but you got to love those JAN Philips 6L6WGB power tubes.

I have done that here myself with low power on my 257hp and thinking the amp was on. Making 1 out of 10 contacts and getting frustrated before realizing what you forgot.:whistle:

I know what you mean, conditions have been great in the late afternoon and evening lately... Just barefoot with my stock 959 and wilson mag, I'm getting my numbers called every day by new stations, often times on the first or second try.
I don't spend a lot of time on the radio, often times i'll just turn it on on my lunch breaks at work and in the last few days I've talked to stations in Indiana, Mississippi, Texas, Tennessee, Arizona...

918 Oklahoma is having no problem getting out on 38.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes sir it is. Made contact with Australia again last night. Good qso. Conditions were very good for a while, early this morning Around 1am, also made contact with Ontario. Good stuff.

No not with 12 watts lol. Last night, around 9-10pm, central Florida near the coast. I have talked only a few times to there. Had a good qso and was giving him a good signal per his report. I didn't have my log book nearby so I wasn't able to log it. But I know what I did lol. Australia comes in from time to time. Getting back to them is the hard part IMO as everybody and their brother tries to respond. But I made it through and spoke for a few minutes.

What's your dx numbers space cowboy? I talk to Michigan all the time. Worked out of Kentwood, MI for almost 6 months last year. Right until it got cold lol.

Haaa ! 222 I didn't think you were barefoot talking to Australia an almost made a smart ass comment but you cleared it up for me ! Too good of contact to miss ! Good Job ! ( actually I was going to say " I'm calling B...l S..t on that ") lol<More audio>

West coast US to East coast Australia is a daily thing . The trick is to get a contact away from ch 38, too many big power stations to compete with, 35 is the Aussie call ch." 853 downunder Brisbane"

Yes sir had to use some power, turned on the TNT 600hd and I talked to Australia. I don't have to lie about who I speak with. I have mare contact with 12-15 watts to Australia to member solar radio 351 using my Uniden PC122Xl and a dipole up around 30ft. But the other day I was using a uniden 980 with an new style TNT 600hd with toshiba 2879's. That is what was used the other day. No lies no BS!!!

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.