• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I've worked the world on 100 watts (or less)!!!!

Yes but if you do the same thing you get the same results. We can all sit on 38 make as much noise as possible and work the same stations, requiring more and more power to do so.

Good Post 13.

I think the intent is to offer encouragement to a new operator, most certainly you can work lots of DX with a hundred watts and on some days a KW will not play on the band

I would guess that most of the regulars here are aware that it is not just one thing but everything in the mix, mother nature, antenna, propagation, etc.

Cb is crowded on .385 (when the band is open) so it is a nightmare to work....Yes it can be done but it takes an effort to do.
Like has already been said don't stay on 38, at least try 34 thru 40 and call cq.
Spending a few min on each one, you never know who you may hear.
Try ch 16 a few times.
Call cq on 38 and say you are moving to 36 or 40.
Then go listen on the other channel, someone may hear you but there is so much noise on 38, you may not be able to hear them because of the high noise level, moving off may let you make the contact.
A newbie may not understand that, so ya I see your point that the choice of words may not be the best.

That phrase don't tell the whole story.
And this whole story will change drastically when the sunspot cycle nose dives and all the propagation dies off.

So I guess I just have to stick to my words of encouragement theory.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
And I also have to add ( as 13 did) that if you really like to hunt DX, it is best to get a ham lic.
You can use other frequencies that have different band conditions that just 11 meters, and really does open up a whole new world to work DX.

Jeff

I understand both sides here.

Hams use that phrase to let new people know that it's not necessary to run high wattage to shoot DX.

...this statement could be made when a person is considering running a large amp, to let that person know that it isn't necessary to run 1-15KW of output to work DX.

That's how I always took it to be meant, but sometimes how it comes across is sarcastic, "see what I can do cause I'm a Ham".

Just need to be persistent.

I agree 42. I have ham gear, an amp I don't use, and a stock CB. I hardly ever use the ham gear anymore. I stick mostly with my DX 2547 and when mother nature favors me...I get to talk to many that I can hear and that is typically on channel 38 lsb.

I talked to Hawaii yesterday, I talked to Ireland, Calif and New York, on Tuesday with about 18 watts out of my Galaxy into my $49 Starduster at 46' feet to the tip and with one broken radial support just hanging down.

When it's your turn...you should be able to talk if your setup is close to right.

On first impression, I think I mostly disagree with 359.

On first impression, I think I mostly disagree with 359.
You are certainly entitled to disagree. Like I said, I don't even play ssb, but you obviously haven't read some of the great posts made by other members here either.

Dxing on the regular 40 channels on AM versus SSB is like night and day. I never tell someone to go ahead and try if they are on AM. If they have an SSB rig then I do. You say you tried SSB and didn't like it. I can't imagine what's not to like about it. Better distance. Less noise and congestion. Different crowd to mingle with. Much easier to DX but alas, it's not for everyone.

Yes and no. Just sitting here listening to the same old west coast stations talking to the same old Australian stations .And thinking what it would be like if we were all limited to 10 watts and didn't use a call ch.

I said yes, 27usb would be a great challenge !!

I guess I am misinterpreted often :D

Well, mother nature seems to dictate who I can -- and who I can't -- work a lot of times. I've worked Hawaii, Alaska, and Germany while barefoot. At the same time, I've failed to work someone as close as Texas with "shoes on" when I can hear him.

Maybe I'm missing the point of this post. I'm having the most fun when I'm working someone I thought I couldn't possibly work.

Reactions: 1 person
Dxing on the regular 40 channels on AM versus SSB is like night and day. I never tell someone to go ahead and try if they are on AM. If they have an SSB rig then I do. You say you tried SSB and didn't like it. I can't imagine what's not to like about it. Better distance. Less noise and congestion. Different crowd to mingle with. Much easier to DX but alas, it's not for everyone.

I pointed this thread at ssb intentionally to keep it honest, who plays AM on 10m anyhow?

Me? I like AM and don't hate me for it, lol. I liked my RCI radios for their AM which is contradictory to popularity, because most people think "Galaxy loud" is the way to go. I keep thinking if I bought an HF rig and played real ssb that I may be swayed. But I can key 28am and make a contact as long as conditions are there ... United Kingdom, all over South America, Hawaii, New Zealand etc and all on a Cobra 29. I don't slobber in the mic and bleed 5 or 10 like the super bowlers, nor do I cry CQ. And the current trend on 28am is quality audio ...... yes there are "super truckers" and there are "noise toys", but they tend to be ignored.

I personally don't find it a problem for the guys on 28 to be into quality audio while running power. I've only been into radio since 2008/9, so I think the trend is new but should be lasting.

Except!! Bozo and his WackPack on 26, that man needs shot. The guy doing the tune or the guy keying the mic ... you be the judge.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.