• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

J310 noise figure?

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
I never have enough jfets so I ordered some SMD j310's. Without looking at datasheets, I went with 50 of the $0.50 model because the # in stock suggested they were the popular ones. I also grabbed a couple of the "low noise" versions for $5 a piece just to play with. The cheap ones do not list the noise figure on the datasheet, just the noise voltage (something I understrand to only matter at low frequencies because they were measured in the 1/f region, maybe I misunderstand how that works). The low noise version claims about 1dB NF at about 100MHz, but what can I expect from the $0.50 version? What kind of difference should I expect?

Do people use the cheap ones for receivers and mixers, or is that a bad idea?

Thanks!

The J310 is a high-Idss device, much higher than the general JFETs like your MPF102, 2N3819, 2N4416, etc. It's also the defacto device (along with the same die in a metal can, the U310 which is what I use) for almost all active whip-amps that use a JFET as the input device. (The RF System's DX-1 Pro and the Amrad whip-amp use an RF power VMOS FET with much higher input capacitance.)

The J308,309,310 are all in the same family, graded by Idss, with the 310 the highest minimum Idss; all 3 have about the same maximum Idss (Idss = "drain current with gate shorted to source"). I have determined in all my active whip-amp tests that best linearity occurs in the range of about 8-12mA drain current. Most seem to fall in the 9.5-11mA range.

With most JFETs you can measure Idss, but this family will heat up and destroy itself if you let unrestrained drain current go for more than several seconds; the factory determines Idss for these with a pulse test.

BASIC SPECIFICATIONS ARE:

25V max drain-gate voltage,

25 V max source-gate voltage

10mA max forward gate current

360mW max power dissipation.

Gate-source cutoff voltage 2.0-6.5V

Idss 24-60mA

Gate-source forward voltage 1.0V max

Common source forward transconductance (gain)
8000-18,000 micromhos

Gate-source capacitance (what the input sees in an
active whipamp circuit) 5pF max, 4.3pF typical

Noise Figure at 105MHz, 1.5dB typical; 2.7dB typical
at 450MHz

Wide dynamic range--greater than 100dB

Low-noise device, good for oscillators, mixers, amplifiers

J310 PINOUT:
Hold device with leads pointing toward you with
flat face up--left to right--drain,source,gate
(device is not symmetrical, i.e. source and drain cannot
be interchanged)

Low noise as well, i don't see benefit of the other device ;)

Reactions: brandon7861

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned