• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just ordered the Sirio 2016. Good move or not?

A friend of mine about 30 miles north of me took down his IMAX 2000 and put up this antenna. His signal to me dropped almost to S units same radio same everything just an antenna change. Now we can only talk on a quiet day and I didn’t change anything at all. So I doubt very much if this is the new kid on the block to buy.

Well, if he dropped 2 S units by going to a real antenna from a lossy dipole I'd say he'd better find out what he did to the radio or coax to lose about 90% of his output.

Well, if he dropped 2 S units by going to a real antenna from a lossy dipole I'd say he'd better find out what he did to the radio or coax to lose about 90% of his output.
Italian should stay to making wine, the Fiat car isn’t worth a damn, the RM amplifiers weren’t worth a damn what makes you think they can make antennas.

Shoes and pizza is fine too.
Anyway there is something wrong with antenna instalation if signal dropped that much.
Can we see antenna analyser measurements? Without that it's just guessing game.
Mike

Reactions: Marconi
Shoes and pizza is fine too.
Anyway there is something wrong with antenna instalation if signal dropped that much.
Can we see antenna analyser measurements? Without that it's just guessing game.
Mike
The guy took down an IMAX 2000 with the ground plane kit , same pipe, same coax, same everything all he did was put the Italian antenna on the American pipe and I guess it doesn’t have a good fit. Antenna analyzer what do you need that for if you didn’t change anything, you know you guys get so technical over basic stuff. Your problem is you don’t want to agree because you spent over $100 and you didn’t get an antenna with the same performance. And it’s not me it’s one of my buddies that I talk to almost every day.

Italian should stay to making wine, the Fiat car isn’t worth a damn, the RM amplifiers weren’t worth a damn what makes you think they can make antennas.

I have the 2008 and the ears are much better. A guy I speak with, 50 miles away, says I'm stronger and cutting the noise much better, and it's withstood 70 mph winds and ice storms for two years+ without issue. Not even bent. It's built like a tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker442
I have the 2008 and the ears are much better. A guy I speak with, 50 miles away, says I'm stronger and cutting the noise much better, and it's withstood 70 mph winds and ice storms for two years+ without issue. Not even bent. It's built like a tank.
I’m really glad it works well for you

The guy took down an IMAX 2000 with the ground plane kit , same pipe, same coax, same everything all he did was put the Italian antenna on the American pipe and I guess it doesn’t have a good fit. Antenna analyzer what do you need that for if you didn’t change anything,
He changed the antenna. Not even basic SWR check? Strange way of installing new antenna.
Mike

He changed the antenna. Not even basic SWR check? Strange way of installing new antenna.
Mike
It was exactly the same and the SWR’s are 1.2 all across the band. It’s the same. It was with his IMAX only it went up a little bit on the higher channels. The Italian antenna seems to keep the SWR the same across the 40 channel band? Sir I’m 69 years old. I’ve been screwing around with Radio since I was 14. I got my Ham license when I was 18 I think I know a little bit about radios and antennas so don’t try blowing any smoke up my ass please

Reactions: TheRATT
Well, 2 S units on a CB radio is not a figure etched in stone.
There's no telling if my 448 and your 29 GTL may read different, depending on how it is aligned.
1 calibrated Standard S Unit is generally defined as the difference of 6 Db or a power ratio of 4.
There is a IARU technical recommendation of -75 dBm into the receiver input assuming 50 ohms something something I don't remember but you have to take s meter readings on a CB with a grain of salt.
Sure they are a relative reading but.......
WR0223 Chris has a 1600 up and it works fine, we were talking today when Larry @DXman jumped in and said hello and I was in my mobile driving north east.
Still in my radio @60+ miles when I signed off so they do work.

Jeff

The swr looks ok, but is it resonant? You can shorten an antenna to bring the swr down, then shorten some more and it will go up. Then shorten some more and it will go down again. The swr does not necessarily mean all is good. This is why an antenna analyzer can be important.

i HAVE HAD A 2016 FOR YEARS AND IT ALWAYS WORKED FINE, AND i LIKE IT.
I’m glad it worked very well for you. I forgot to say, and I should have in the beginning, I’m talking about Sideband not AM. And I understand conditions can always be different, same distance, same whatever could make receive different every day or even every couple hours. Sorry I didn’t see this in the beginning. I tried, an A99, an IMAX,a Maco I think it was a v something not the 200.00 one the 125.00 one. The only one I didn’t like was the A99 as far as receive went.

I’m glad it worked very well for you. I forgot to say, and I should have in the beginning, I’m talking about Sideband not AM. And I understand conditions can always be different, same distance, same whatever could make receive different every day or even every couple hours. Sorry I didn’t see this in the beginning. I tried, an A99, an IMAX,a Maco I think it was a v something not the 200.00 one the 125.00 one. The only one I didn’t like was the A99 as far as receive went.
In radio, propagation is everything. However, having a good antenna system, good coax being part of that antenna system, cannot be overstated. The SWR plot on my Sirio is very much like the one sp5it shared. This is the first Sirio that I have owned and thus far I am very pleased. It does very well on AM local in my area. But, I most enjoy working side band. This afternoon I worked SSB for about three hours. The 11 meter propagation was very good. I was able to work two stations in England on 36 and 37 LSB. And worked all across the country as well. It is a good antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.