• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

just wondering

seamonster

northern michigan
Dec 6, 2008
northern michigan
ive been on the radio now for 4 years. just a cobra 1000 peaked n tweaked a llil. runnin a palomar 300a with a maco 5/8 bout 60 ft up. gettin bored with regular radio. my great g-pa was a ham operator. i was to young to remember, but i would like to try to get into it. dont have a clue where to start. any help or direction would be appreciated.

Another thing to turn the spark into motivation, Get a good HF Receiver or Transceiver and listen to the action on the HF bands from all over the world. You dont need any special antenna, you can hear just fine using your Maco. I used to work 10-40 meters on my V5/8 using just an Icom 746 and the internal tuner. I made lots of contacts. GL and have fun

ive been on the radio now for 4 years. just a cobra 1000 peaked n tweaked a llil. runnin a palomar 300a with a maco 5/8 bout 60 ft up. gettin bored with regular radio. my great g-pa was a ham operator. i was to young to remember, but i would like to try to get into it. dont have a clue where to start. any help or direction would be appreciated.

Take thyself to radio shack , and purchase a book called
"Now Your Talking" IMHO, an excellent primer and entry level
read for anyone interested in Ham Radio
heres a link to some for sale used on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Now You're Talking!: All You Need to Get Your Ham Radio Technician License: Larry D. Wolfgang, American Radio Relay League, Joel P. Kleinman: Books

in the meantime check out some of the other groups

http://www.eham.net
this site has practice test's you can take

http://www.qrz.com

there are others im sure , but these two are my favorites
(In additon to this one :tongue:)

Somthing that I did before I got my ticket that was fun, and informative was tuned in the local 2 meter repeaters on my scanner. If you have a scanner, do an internet search for
2 meter reapeters in your state. Punch the freq in your scanner and see what you get. Just a thought.

Go to Ham Radio outlet website, bring up products by W5YI / Gordon West, and order his Technician class book. Study it, then find who holds the tests in your area, and take it. While there pick the brains of the VE's holding the test, they will be General class or higher, and will know all there is to know about amateur radio in your area....

Find a local club here.
ARRLWeb: Affiliated Club Search

Email whatever is around and see who responds. Lot of entries with bad contact information.

A local club would be a great way to get introduced to what is going on in your area. It can save you a lot of money and frustration in picking our radios, finding local test schedules etc. Once you know the locals, you can get a lot of immediate advice as to what works in your area and if anyone is selling or loaning gear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.