• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-D710

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
Next on the list for new mobiles, anyone here using one?:drool: I will be replacing the FT-8800 with it.
blank.gif
The control head is detached and comes with remote cable for easy installation. The TM-VD710A is a true dual-band operation radio so VHF+VHF/VHF+UHF/UHF+UHF operation is possible.
blank.gif
624_194_150.jpg
blank.gif
blank.gif
TM-D710A
Multi Communicator 144/440MHz FM Dual Bander

blank.gif

rfoverlord,
Having come into a 'chunk' of money recently (taxes!), I've been looking at the VHF/UHF radios. After doing some reading, about the only thing 'different' about the '710 is that it has quite a few more memory channels and it's 'Echolink' friendly. Depending on where you find one, they can be about the price of the discontinued '708 (really nice radio!), or can be as expensive as the '700 (another nice one, just too expensive, but it's got that TNC built in so...?). Not being all that enthused about 'Echolink', the 710 just doesn't really 'suit' me that much, and when you get down to it, who needs 1000 memory channels? (That may just be my 'cheap' coming out though?) The only 'firm' suggestion I'd have for you is that no matter what brand/model you get, keep that @#$ manual handy! Who can remember all them menu thingys??
- 'Doc

PS - No, didn't get a new radio. Decinded to do something really 'nasty' with it instead! ... pay bills ...

Reactions: 1 person
Doc,
I'm doing the same thing with my taxes, but since i never get sick and don't have time for vacations the company i work for buys back yor time so i have 3 weeks to sell back so that is my toy money for this year.

I know the 700 and they are *very* nice.

The 710 has nothing but improvements so I would imagine it is just fine.

Basically I've heard nothing bad about the 710 anywhere yet, but I don't own one either. It's high on my list as an upgrade for base use. Being able to crossband out to national call at high power from the base while walking around the neighborhood on an HT is one reason.

Vs the 8800, the non-light-up buttons on the 8800 are miserable for mobile use, the display on the Kenwoods is much nicer overall and the combined freq with alpha display is pretty sweet to have as well.

Nevermind, I downloaded the sales brochure :drool::drool:

Kenwood's Sky command System II+ allows you to use the TM-D710A for remote
access to Kenwood’s TS-2000/2000X/B2000 (with built-in Transporter functions).
Operating as the Commander, your TM-D710A transmits control signals to the
Transporter, which also relays your voice to the HF radio. In return, HF signals are
transmitted back to the Commander. This system allows you to transmit and
receive HF signals, set frequencies (with LCD confirmation), switch memory
channels, and much more – all remotely. You could thus enjoy HF access using the
TM-D710A while making a quick trip to the local store.

I have never used that radio
I a ma Icom fan

but i never heard anything but exellent reports on the 710

(how often you hear me speak well of other non Icom radios...lol )

'Hammer,
The more I think about it, the less the '710 sounds like something I wouldn't use. So, get it, try all kinds of (non-destructive) things with it. If you decide that a '700 would suit you much better, I'll take the '710 off your hands (at a ridiculously low price, of course!).
And while I'm at it, I'd take the '700 off your hands too! Same conditions, naturally. Swap for a '7800??... even got the box it came in. That ought'a make it worth a lot, right?
- 'Doc

(KingCobra_CDX882 -- Not that I don't think you are fair when speaking about brands of radios, but just how often can any of the 'other' brands compare favorably with Kenwood? It's okay, I do understand what that costs you ;))

Ohhh that HiQ is niiiice.

You get it fired up yet?

About the only signals mobile I ever copy on 75m well are from the big screwdriver antennas.

not yet, work schedule is to basically one day a week off, for another month.
i want to do it right, bonding the body and exhaust and run the wiring correctly.
And finally i need to decide which kind of mount i want for the ant. As our motto at work says "touch it once" touch it right!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.