• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KENWOOD TM-D710A and APRS

'H.H.',
You might also take a look here;

www.byonics.com

While not made specifically for the '710, there are some interesting thingys there that are ... interesting. Same basic GPS receiver, but different 'abilities' such as having a long cord to place the receiver in a better position (very nice). Also has a few thingys in the development stages that are... interesting. (He's also very open to suggestions about what you might want, and take a look at the APRS forum. {pssst - cheaper too!})
- 'Doc

Not really very pertinent, but I've found that there is no difference between the control heads for the '708 and the '700. Biggest one being that the '708's control head is easier to read in a vehicle (brighter), at least with my eyes. And since the RC710(?) control head will work with the '700, I figure they're all the same, just different 'style'.

Biggest difference between the 'Byonic' series of APRS thingys is that they are not 'time' dependent as the Kenwood radios are, they transmit at set times (variable), but also with changes in direction, height, speed, and 'tilt' (degree of banking, very nice for aircraft). Biggest complaint I have with them is that @#$ SMA antenna connector! (They also do not tie-up the VHF radio so that you loose it's use for something else. Don't ask me, I don't know what else I'd use it for anyway, but...)

Oh yeah! You and that @#$ 'bug' owe me a new monitor! Dang near broke mine trying to kill it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.