• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood TS-2000 some thing not right...

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
I have been using my Kenwood for about 2 or 3 months and some things don't seem right...

The Noise Blanker don't seem to do any thing..
The reserve on it seems no beater then my Uniden Washington when monitoring CB or RCI-2950 on 10 metes by just by the sound by ear..

when I do look at the S-meter it seems to be reading low all the time if I hit the preamp it will read just like the other to radios...
I know I am comparing the S-meter to a CB but I did just have the Washington aligned...

every thing on the TX side seems good.

does the 2k have an attenuator circuit? is it switched on?

is the AGC set to fast?

the attenuator circuit is off
the AGC is on the slow side..

I'll be honest i am a new ham and just got my ticket a few months ago, so working this radio is a little intimidating.. i have been reading the manual but i need help

Forget all about comparing signal meter readings. Try tuning a really weak signal and see if one radio will hear it better than the other. Also remember that the preamp on ham gear is not like a CB preamp. The preamp is simply the radio's normal 1'st IF amp. It does not add any EXTRA amplification but instead allows you to turn it off to increase the dynamic range of the receiver which comes in handy when the front end is being creamed by extremely strong signals.

Forget all about comparing signal meter readings. Try tuning a really weak signal and see if one radio will hear it better than the other. Also remember that the preamp on ham gear is not like a CB preamp. The preamp is simply the radio's normal 1'st IF amp. It does not add any EXTRA amplification but instead allows you to turn it off to increase the dynamic range of the receiver which comes in handy when the front end is being creamed by extremely strong signals.

Ok that makes séance, I was trying not to compare the meters as "CB" radios are not calibrated instruments but it is hard not to look at them. I was trying to use my ears more then any thing..

now they you mentioned it i do remember hearing about it just turning on and off the 1'st IF amp on the radio. and not adding in a "booster" amp..

now for the noise blanker how much of a difference would I expect? I here no difference with it on or off

The noise blanker in this radio is for spike or buzz type noise, otherwise if there is none you won't hear a difference.
It is adjustable for level sensitivity.
Turn it on, then press the function key then the 7 key again.
A level set appears on the right side of the screen and is adjustable using the MULTI control. Center knob on the right side.
When your done using it press the CLR button left of the VFO knob.
You will get a good noise reduction using the N.R. function that is adjustable in the same way as the NB.
I seldom ever use it except on 6 meters for power line noise reductions.
As a note, the S meter readings on a 2000 are on the low side by design.
It does not mean the radio can't hear.
S meter calibrations from make to make are not to any 'firm' standard.
Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.