• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood ts 850sat

Nov 2, 2015
I got a ts 850 about 2 months ago, I had only listened to it for about 4 hours, over 2 months and now this display stopped working. the rx seems to be ok, just the display stopped working. I hAve read alot about this issue and want to get it fixed, my problem is finding a good ham tech that's not backed up for months. any help would be greatly appreciated

There are several 470uf electrolytic capacitors on the display board. With the age of this rig the caps fail and expel electrolyte on to the circuit board. This eats away at the copper traces especially the via's. A via is a plated through hole that connects traces on the top of the board o the bottom of the board. Once these are corroded the display will fail every time.

I had him repair a TS-430 a couple years ago. Totally went through it and did a great job. Price was reasonable, too.

Brett

: 22879"]I had him repair a TS-430 a couple years ago. Totally went through it and did a great job. Price was reasonable, too.

Brett[/QUOTE]
I did a lot of digging and could not find one single person to say any thing bad about him. many thanks man I was so disappointed when I got this rig that 3 months later the display went out, i go for my ticket in January, I'll have to wait to talk, I'll feel better knowing someone went through the entire rig giving it another 20 years of use.
Merry merry, happy happy
Tom

Reactions: 2RT307
: 22879"]I had him repair a TS-430 a couple years ago. Totally went through it and did a great job. Price was reasonable, too.

Brett
I did a lot of digging and could not find one single person to say any thing bad about him. many thanks man I was so disappointed when I got this rig that 3 months later the display went out, i go for my ticket in January, I'll have to wait to talk, I'll feel better knowing someone went through the entire rig giving it another 20 years of use.
Merry merry, happy happy
Tom[/QUOTE]
Hi Tom, yeah, Cliff has an excellent reputation. I first learned of him through some friends of mine on 40 mtrs, and they all recommended him. He does live out in the country, and you have to follow his shipping instructions...otherwise the carrier won't find him. I drove there personally and had a heck of a time finding his house, and my GPS was of no use. He was a certified Kenwood repairman for years, and has a proper bench setup. I'm sure he'll be able to fix yours and get it aligned.

Good luck on passing your test, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas, too!

Brett

Wow, he makes it look easy....
Id love to just ship that board, I hate shipping these large radios. But, I'm going to have the tech completely go through the radio while it's on his bench. I'll just insure the radio for 5 times the value and it won't be such a heart break if something happens.

I doubt over insuring it will do much good. The carrier will likely research the item and determine its value and then likely pay you the amount of the insurance you bought or the value of the item, whichever is less.

I sent a TS-850 I bought in late '97 to Clif when, after having it a few weeks, one of the DDS chips died. A few months later another one died. I was not happy--at the radio, that is. Clif serviced it well and I kept it a couple more years. His repair work had no bearing on the second chip failing.

Reactions: 2RT307
I have only had 2 issues with shipping and I over insured both times and got the full amount i insured for. Both times I paid the shipper to pack, ir does cost more but pays off if there is damage. One was an sb220, they even allowed me to keep the box, it was totally destroyed tho. I think I did them a favor by taking it

I doubt over insuring it will do much good. The carrier will likely research the item and determine its value and then likely pay you the amount of the insurance you bought or the value of the item, whichever is less.

I sent a TS-850 I bought in late '97 to Clif when, after having it a few weeks, one of the DDS chips died. A few months later another one died. I was not happy--at the radio, that is. Clif serviced it well and I kept it a couple more years. His repair work had no bearing on the second chip failing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.