• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts440 at

TS440S Themmal insulation

I have a kenwood ts440s with the warble problem were can I buy the thermal insulation and or the rubber insulation.

That 'insulation' stuff used in the VCO modification/replacement is for component stability. It definitely has to be non-conductive though, that was the problem with the original 'goo', it became conductive over time. I think ordinary epoxy, or maybe silicone would work as a stabilizer. I'd also think asking someone who knows what they are doing and -not- take my advice about it, would be a very good idea! I sort of doubt that there's a quick-n-easy 'fix'.
- 'Doc

(Just depends on what you consider "quick-n-easy" I guess.)

the kenwood service bulletin that deals with this (SB-973) states to use hot melt glue from a hot glue gun. this rig is often used mobile and this is just for MECHANICAL stability.

the key issue is to adjust t-20 to read 5 VDC at tp-11 (the exposed lead of L-40) after the rig warms up @ 14.200 MHz.

The VCO glue problem will not make the radio work OK on one sideband and not the other. Neither will an ALC problem.

Have you accidentlally moved any of the little black DIP switches located in the window of the tin covering the backside of the front panel circuit board? Those switches set the radio's I.F. passband to match the ssb filter's passband. If they are set incorrectly the radio can transmit very pinched sounding audio on slimeband. They do just about the same thing the front panel I.F. shift does on receive.

Up 'til your last post I would have suggested changing mics or look for a bad ground in the mic cord as it sounded like there might be R.F. in the audio.

The processor in the 440 is only a simple audio compression circuit and a change in the speech amp feedback loop which alters audio frequency response. Quite cheesy in an otherwide landmark piece of ham gear. Better left off unless the ship is sinking and you need help.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.