• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts50

nikeshox

Jan 11, 2017
hi, anyone can help me,my ts50 suddenly only doing 60 watts on high power,it should be doing 100 watt ,low power and medium power is ok showing 10 watt and 50 watt?

It's been a long time since I looked at one. Is there a power control or menu setting that got changed resulting in a lower power limit being set? Most all solid state radios have some control over the transmitter power.

Also cheek your VSWR. If it's bad the radio will or should cut power back to keep hurting the finals. Just some food for thought. Check your coax, connectors, and any jumpers for a pinch, loose connection or something else. Again, just some food for thought. I could be totally off here, but it won't hurt anything to check. Hope you get it resolved.

I'll guess that your TS50 is beginning to show signs of age. Surface-mount electrolytic capacitors on the main circuit board will begin to fail and cause random-seeming changes in the power level, the ALC setting, etc.

I have one that is waiting to get all of those caps replaced on the main pc board. The TS50 has a handful of switchmode regulator circuits that feed both positive and negative-polarity DC voltages to the control, limiter and transmit circuits. Wacky behavior points to those as the likely cause.

Never underestimate how long it can take for a marginal solder connection to begin causing trouble. Connector pins are more likely to have this trouble, since they are thicker than the component leads and require more heat. Makes them more likely to have a marginal bond to the solder.

Gotta play hooky for a day and get mine back on the air. I really like that model.

Reactions: 222DBFL
thanks for the reply guys,it used to play up with power going up and down,sometimes it would go back to full power but now its staying at low power,i have checked everything, asi have autotuners and manual, and its the same,so I guess it's showing age like NOMADRADIO has said,is there anyone in the uk that can sort it out?otherwise it will have to go to www.avid.com.

Does sound like it needs some caps replaced. My local pal has had issues with an Icom 728 he bought and has put a lot of money into having to ship it out due to caps taking a dump. I don't know why he won't recap it other than price? But like said, have the radio sent to a kenwood certified tech and let them go through the whole radio. It's worth it.
You'll get many years of use out of it as long as you leave it at stock levels on he output. 100 watts PEP. Have an alignment done as well. Get it all gone through basically. They are great radios and work well.

thanks for the advice, yes I think it could do with a service, it could be the caps might be at fault, and yes I agree the kenwood ts50 are great,and well made work well and sound great.....

What a bunch of bs advices.

@OP Check power plug "stifness" and oxidation.
Kenwood is very sensitive for voltage drops. To verify that measure input voltage on mainboard 100W FM TX. I bet, that is much lower then on power supply. Even around 11V. Also check fuses for voltage drop.
Mike

Cliff done a transmit recieve alignment on mine.
No bad caps were found. He checks it all and is reasonable.
I agree on the voltage drop. have had this issue in the slipseat operation.

Reactions: red97k1500
hi thanks again for information guys i'v been playing around with it and it seems to do more power on some bands then others like if I go to 80 meters its doing about 100 watt on 20 meters its doing 70 watt but medium power showing its doing more than 50 watt,and low power 25 watt,ive tried 2 different antennas g5rv and dual beam pro and 3 tuners but no joy, I have a yaesu 757gx and that's working fine doing 100+watts on the gear that I have,so I think the ts50 needs looking at buy a kenwood teck guy

hi I have 150 watt dummy load and tried that aswell its showing same high power around 70 watts medium power around 30 watts and low power 5 watts it used to be 10, 50 and 100 watt that's the standard for this model i'm no teck guy so I ain't got a clue why its playing up I need to send it away to someone to service it..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.