• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

L4B help (again)

vk8hlf

Oct 16, 2008
I have had for quite a few years a nice old L4B, it has served me well apart from a few minor problems (tube sockets etc) however the "on off, high & low plate voltage switch" (ssb- tune) has finally ceased to be,, On being a VK there is a very limited second hand market for the drake line here,, so my question to the forum is what are my chances of obtaining a switch, I know drake have not been around for many years but is there a generic or alternative switch or if im real lucky an original (wish me luck)

Cheers from the top end VK8HLF

If you are looking for an original replacement I think I would start in all the typical places people sell used equipment (QRZ,'ePay',where ever). Look for 'basket cases', and just make your needs known.
As for a new, non-original switch, take the measurement from the amplifier (h-w-d) and look through every parts catalogue known to man. Oh, will you need patience for that, probably have better luck finding a 'parts' 'L4B'!
And then if you are super careful, you might think about taking that @#$ switch apart and seeing if it's fixable. Sometimes they are. (Would you buy me one of those lotto tickets too?)
Unfortunately, I've been in your predicament too (not with an L4B, but one about the same age). It is soooo much fun, isn't it?
- 'Doc

(Why is it that when we say 'look up', you guys down there always look down?)

L4B

Hi Doc thanks for your comments it did bring a rye smile to my face,, & yes thats pretty much what i was thinking,, I thought I would try & shorten things up a little by asking you guy's across the pond, their are not to many drake line radio's/ amps etc in VK.. My line of thinking was that if the switch in my L4B had gone sure as hell there would be others out there that have been through the same pain,, & yes I have attempted the fix the original switch scenario but it is just to old & to burnt from handling high voltage for to many years...

Cheers Doc & thankyou very much for the response to my mail
Greg VK8HLF Darwin Northern territory

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.